Install Laminate Flooring
Learn how to install durable and inexpensive laminate flooring it's a snap.
Materials and Tools:
quarter-round shoe molding
1. Remove any baseboards in the room and take measurements of the area where you wish to install new flooring.
Tip: When buying flooring, make sure to get approximately 10 percent extra, better to have it on-hand should you need it rather than have to run out mid-job.
2. Put on protective eyewear.
3. Install the underlayment. This will level the floor, give a cushiony step and protect against mold and mildew growth.
4. Begin laying the laminate flooring along the room's longest wall. Leave a 1/4-inch gap between the laminate boards and the walls on all sides, this allows for expansion and contraction due to seasonal humidity and temperature changes. If necessary, use 1/4-inch spacers.
5. Lay laminate flooring away from the wall, staggering the boards so the seams don't match up.
6. For a tight fit, use a mallet and tapping block to secure the boards together. Once the entire floor is in place, reinstall baseboards.
7. To cover expansion gaps along the walls, install quarter-round shoe molding. Attach the molding to the baseboard using a nail gun, do not nail the shoe molding into the new laminate flooring.