How to Reface Stair Risers
Cover the mess those carpet strips left behind in 5 simple steps.
If you've ripped the carpet off your stair risers and now get an eyeful of old paint and glue residue whenever you walk up the stairs, there's an easy fix: Attach a layer of painted Masonite to the risers. Here's how to do it:
Materials and Tools:
two sheets 1/8-inch Masonite
one gallon white enamel trim paint
air compressor with hoses
power miter box
1. Measure each riser and record the measurements. Note: It's necessary to measure each one because the sizes may vary slightly.
2. Using the table saw and power miter saw, cut the 1/8-inch Masonite to the measurements you recorded.
3. To save time, paint the back, front and edges of the Masonite before installation. Note: It's wise to paint both sides because paint causes the moisture content of wood to rise as you paint and fall as it dries. If the front of a board dries more than the back, it will warp.
4. Slide the new riser panel into place and attach it with a few brads using the nail gun. Don't glue the panels in place, in case you want to remove the panels later - glue would ruin the risers further.
5. Fill the brad holes and touch up the paint.
Old-World Kitchen Charm
Designer Karen Kettler explains how she transformed a builder-grade kitchen into a graceful, architectural showstopper.
A Restaurant-Style Kitchen at Home
Modeled after French bistros and favorite neighborhood joints, this kitchen makes dinner at home feel as special as a night on the town. Take a look around with HGTV Magazine.
Soaking in Luxury: Master Bath Flip
With sensuous finishes and custom cabinetry, designer Kerry Fidler remodels a master bath to be as utilitarian as it is indulgent.
A Minimalist Master Bathroom
Designer Chris Johnson of Design Tec Inc. incorporates a built-in bathtub and functional bathroom design in this spa-like bath retreat.
Lively Master Bathroom
Designer Cheryl Kees Clendenon creates a youthful master bath designed for aging homeowners.
Remodel Your Kitchen with a Breakfast Bar
Learn how to remodel your kitchen by transforming a well between the kitchen and dining room into an open breakfast bar.
Creative Landscaping Ideas
These mix-and-match landscape designs spark nontraditional creative ideas for your outdoor grass and garden spaces.
Opened-Up Connecticut Kitchen Drinks in Waterfront View
Designer Christopher Pagliaro designed a centralized kitchen for a Connecticut family. A single full wall houses the major appliances, leaving the remaining three sides wide open to drink in views of Long Island Sound.
How to Build an Outdoor Pizza Oven
Add a wood-fire pizza oven to your outdoor kitchen. Learn how to create the base and install it with our step-by-step DIY guide.
Ideas for Sculpting Turf
Learn how to take your lawn up a notch with these beautiful ideas for sculpting and reshaping your grass and garden spaces.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.