Hand-Painted Portable Buffet
Check out these step-by-step instructions for turning an ironing board into a portable buffet for your dining room.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
A true innovation in easy storage, this project transforms an ironing board into a collapsible buffet.
Materials and Tools:
black latex paint
apple-green spray paint
acrylic paints: pinks/reds, tans/whites, yellows, blues, purples and greens
porcelain crackle medium
medium-tip black paint pen
old wood ironing board
3 terra-cotta pots
12 cup hooks
power drill and paddle drill bit
screws and screwdriver
buffet items: silverware, napkins, towel, cups
1. Sand, prime and paint the wood ironing board with black latex paint. Let dry.
2. Prime and paint terra-cotta pots with apple-green spray paint. Let dry.
3. Sketch a design on the ironing board in pencil.
4. Paint the board following the sketch, starting with the background. Let dry.
5. Outline details and add words using a black paint pen.
8. Flip the board over and drill holes for the cup hooks. Screw the cup hooks into the drilled holes.
9. Return the board to its upright position and draw three circles where terra-cotta pots will be placed near the narrow end of the board.
10. Drill a starter hole in each of the three circles with a paddle bit.
12. Using a wrench, twist a spoon into a hook shape (to be used as a towel holder). Drill a hole through the spoon and screw it into the edge of the small end of the board.
13. Place a painted terra-cotta pot in each hole.
14. Fill the pots with napkins and silverware, hang a towel on the spoon hook and hang cups on the hooks under the hand-painted portable buffet.