Kitchen Remodeling and Renovation Costs
The key to not blowing your kitchen remodeling budget is careful planning. Start by downloading and completing our Day in the Life of Your Kitchen Questionnaire and Kitchen Goals Worksheet.
This exercise will help you develop a clear plan on where you should spend your money, depending on your priorities and reasons for remodeling.
As you work on a budget with a builder, ask the firm to supply a breakdown. There are many variables depending on the existing kitchen, the scope of the project (complete remodel or update-refresh?) and the local economy.
The National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) breaks down kitchen remodeling costs like this:
- Design fees: 4%
- Installation: 17%
- Appliances and ventilation: 14%
- Cabinetry and hardware: 29%
- Countertops: 10%
- Lighting: 5%
- Flooring: 7%
- Doors and windows: 4%
- Walls and ceilings: 5%
- Faucets and plumbing: 4%
- Other: 1%
- Supplies: lumber, insulation, hardware, windows and doors, cabinets, etc.
- Subcontractors: electrician, plumber, heating contractor, painters, tile installers, etc.
Inside the kitchen, this window offers another stunning vantage of the view below. On the sill, a combination of beautiful and functional pieces bring together the different ways this space is used. Meanwhile bright green bar stools create a pop of color that breaks up the neutral-heavy space while providing seating to what is usually a standing-room-only space.
BEFORE: Tiny 1970s Kitchen
This 1970s-era kitchen begged for a total gut rehab. The room measured a tiny 132 square feet and featured tacky almond Formica countertops and matching ancient appliances.
Kitchen: Cindy Barshop's New York City Apartment
BEFORE: Dated Kitchen With Awkward Layout
The preexisting kitchen suffered from an odd layout, where additional storage was located on the other side of a wall that ran parallel down the center of the room. The upper cabinets created a claustrophobic feel in the narrow space, while the monochromatic color palette looked bland.
- Kitchen Layouts: Before and After
- Kitchen Remodel for Stunning View
- Before-and-After L-Shaped Kitchen Remodels
- Kitchen Remodeled for Stunning View
- Specialty Features for Kitchens
- 10 Things You Should Ask Yourself Before Remodeling Your Kitchen