Kitchen Remodeling and Renovation Costs
The key to not blowing your kitchen remodeling budget is careful planning. Start by downloading and completing our Day in the Life of Your Kitchen Questionnaire and Kitchen Goals Worksheet.
This exercise will help you develop a clear plan on where you should spend your money, depending on your priorities and reasons for remodeling.
As you work on a budget with a builder, ask the firm to supply a breakdown. There are many variables depending on the existing kitchen, the scope of the project (complete remodel or update-refresh?) and the local economy.
The National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) breaks down kitchen remodeling costs like this:
- Design fees: 4%
- Installation: 17%
- Appliances and ventilation: 14%
- Cabinetry and hardware: 29%
- Countertops: 10%
- Lighting: 5%
- Flooring: 7%
- Doors and windows: 4%
- Walls and ceilings: 5%
- Faucets and plumbing: 4%
- Other: 1%
- Supplies: lumber, insulation, hardware, windows and doors, cabinets, etc.
- Subcontractors: electrician, plumber, heating contractor, painters, tile installers, etc.
- Galley Kitchen Remodeling
- Kitchen and Bath Updates
- Today's Kitchens Require Attention to Detail
- Energy-Efficient Kitchen Remodel
- Kitchen Designs From NKBA 2013 Finalists
- Fun, Family-Focused Baking Kitchen
Have Your Black Tap Shake and Keep That Beach Bod, Too
May 27, 2016 by Kayla Kitts
Step Inside the 2016 Kips Bay Decorator Show House
May 27, 2016 by Katie Friedman
5 Easy Flower Arrangements + How to Keep Them Alive
May 26, 2016 by Farima Alavi
10 DIYs to Make Your Rental Feel Like Home Sweet Home
May 25, 2016 by Erica Reitman