Kitchen Remodeling and Renovation Costs
Expect nearly a third of your budget to go for cabinets and hardware.
The key to not blowing your kitchen remodeling budget is careful planning. Start by downloading and completing our Day in the Life of Your Kitchen Questionnaire and Kitchen Goals Worksheet.
This exercise will help you develop a clear plan on where you should spend your money, depending on your priorities and reasons for remodeling.
As you work on a budget with a builder, ask the firm to supply a breakdown. There are many variables depending on the existing kitchen, the scope of the project (complete remodel or update-refresh?) and the local economy.
The National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) breaks down kitchen remodeling costs like this:
- Design fees: 4%
- Installation: 17%
- Appliances and ventilation: 14%
- Cabinetry and hardware: 29%
- Countertops: 10%
- Lighting: 5%
- Flooring: 7%
- Doors and windows: 4%
- Walls and ceilings: 5%
- Faucets and plumbing: 4%
- Other: 1%
- Supplies: lumber, insulation, hardware, windows and doors, cabinets, etc.
- Subcontractors: electrician, plumber, heating contractor, painters, tile installers, etc.
- Galley Kitchen Remodeling
- Today's Kitchens Require Attention to Detail
- Warm, Earthy Kitchen
- Fun, Family-Focused Baking Kitchen
- How to Begin a Kitchen Remodel
- The Right Elements for Kitchen Design
Kitchen Remodeling: Where to Splurge, Where to Save
Get tips on where to spend money in your kitchen remodel and where to cut back
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.