Install Paper-Faced Drywall Corners
Learn how to do the job yourself with this quick and easy technique.
The method most of us use to finish rooms with drywall has been around since World War II. Back then, it was a big improvement over plaster, especially in cost and efficiency of installation. But finishing drywall usually takes three times longer than hanging it, and if it's not finished right, it's likely to cause all kinds of problems, such as nail pops that result in warped or cracked walls.
- Measure the length of the corner of the wall.
- With the corner bead in its prefabricated shape, run it through the mud hopper from one end to the other, making sure it is evenly coated.
- Now align the bead with the drywall corner and use the mini-roller to press it into place.
- Use your taping knife to remove excess mud and apply a thin layer of joint compound over the bead.
- Let the mud dry, and then sand it until the corners are smooth.
- Apply a second coat that's wider than the first and feather it out at the corners.
- Shine a light parallel to the wall to check for any bumps or irregularities.
- The paper-faced corner bead offers many advantages over the traditional method of finishing corners. It's faster and allows a more flexible corner. And since there are no nails or screw, there is no chance of nail or screw pops.
Weekend Projects: Build Faux Columns and Archways
Turn a wide entryway into an architectural feature with columns and molding. It will take less than a weekend and cost less than $100 in materials.
Use Prefabricated Wall Panels
Premade panels save time and money, and more builders should use them.
Recycled Kitchen Cabinets
Get information on recycled kitchen cabinets, an environmentally and budget-friendly way to redesign your kitchen.
Paint an Ombre Wall
One day, one change: Brighten up your bedroom by painting a pink-and-gray focal wall with these step-by-step instructions.
Peel-and-Stick Window Flashing
By using peel-and-stick window flashing instead of caulk, you can increase protection from the weather for years to come.
Kitchen Island Countertop Considerations
Perhaps the most important aspect of choosing a kitchen island is the countertop. Decide what material and shape will work best for your area.
Cost-Efficient Window Solutions
Keep the drafts out and your energy bills lower with these tips to stop air leaks around your windows and doors.
How to Make a Cigar Box Purse
Transform an old cigar box into a stylish purse with these simple instructions.
Vintage Kitchen Islands
Add vintage flair to the kitchen with a character-rich, time-worn vintage kitchen island.
DIY Kitchen Countertops
Tap into your creative side with these tips for creating a do-it-youself kitchen countertop.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.