Create a Family Message Center
Build a custom-framed chalkboard to hang in your kitchen, creating a central location for everyone to leave messages, write to-dos and keep up with each others' schedules.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
- 20" x 46" x 1/4" sheet hardboard
- 23" x 51" x 1/8" sheet hardboard
- (2) 49-1/2-inch lengths 3-1/2-inch wide primed MDF baseboard
- 20" x 3-1/2" primed MDF baseboard
- extra strength wood glue
- caulk and caulk gun
- extra fine sanding pad
- painters' tape
- roll masking paper
- white spray paint
- 27" x 4-1/2" primed MDF baseboard
- 28-1/2" x 3-1/2" primed MDF baseboard trimmed down to 1 1/2–inch
- 28" x 3-1/2" primed MDF baseboard trimmed down to 1 inch
- clear protective spray
- chalkboard paint (in black or tinted to desired color)
- 2 ring hangers
- picture wire
- 2 picture hooks and nails
Cut and Lay Out Pieces
Cut primed MDF baseboard and hardboard to size. Lay out cut pieces of MDF around hardboard on flat working surface. Tip: Have materials cut at a home improvement store and consider purchasing trim that matches your home's door casings for a consistent look.
Apply extra strength wood glue to both sides of adjacent cut edges. Press together firmly. Repeat for all sides.
Let Frame Dry
Let glue dry for 24 hours. Tip: Place stacked magazines along outer edges of frame to help pieces dry in position.
Learn how to create custom-made contemporary kitchen island lighting with fabric-covered shades at HGTV.com.