How to Make DIY Christmas Tree Decorations
Get ready for the holiday season with these DIY projects from HGTV Magazine.
DIY Tree Topper
- Print eight copies each of the tree topper template. Cut down the middle to separate the pink template from the gold template. Tape the pink side to sheets of pink cardstock. Tape the rest to sheets of gold cardstock.
- Score along all the dotted lines with a ruler and a bone folder, then cut out the shapes. You’ll have eight pink cutouts and eight gold cutouts.
- Make one point (each point is made up of a pink and a gold cutout): Fold along the scored lines of a pink cutout and a gold cutout. Join them together by gluing Tab A (see template) to Side A (see template). Secure the flaps with glue.
- Repeat Step 3 until you have eight points.
- Make one four-point star (you’ll need to make two four-point stars to create one topper): Glue the four points together so that the tabs are hidden underneath.
- Repeat Step 5 with the remaining four points.
- Glue the stars together, as shown.
- Use a hole puncher to punch two small holes in the back of the topper. Thread a foot-long piece of wire through the holes.
- Set the topper on top of the tree, and twist the ends of the wire around the tree to secure it.
- Print two copies of the small or large ornament template to make one ornament (you’ll need one for the top and one for the bottom). Tape one template to a sheet of pink, red, or white cardstock. Tape the other to a sheet of gold cardstock.
- Using a ruler and a bone folder, score the dotted lines on each template (this will score the cardstock below it).
- Cut out each shape from each piece of cardstock.
- Fold along the scored lines of one piece of cardstock. Join the longest edges together so Tab A (see template) overlaps the other edge, creating a pyramid shape. Secure the edges with hot glue.
- Fold along the scored lines of the second piece of cardstock. Before joining the edges together to create a pyramid, tape a loop of gold string inside so that it will peek out of the top point. Secure Tab A (see template) to the other edge with hot glue.
- To turn both pyramids into one diamond-shaped ornament, interlock the remaining tabs.