Bird Feeders You Can Make with the Kids
Use recycled items and common household foods to make a bird feeder with your kids.
If your kids want to help feathered friends get through the winter, here are some great ways to do it.
- Cut off the lid off an egg carton and discard or save for another project. Fill the individual egg holders with birdseed or cereal. Make a small hole in all four corners of the egg carton and tie a piece of string through each hole. Gather the four strings together and knot. Use this to hang the feeder outdoors.
- Drill four holes near the bottom of an empty milk carton. Insert two dowels, threading each one through two of the holes, on opposite sides of the carton. Cut four triangles in all four corners of the carton about an inch above the dowels. Fill the carton with seeds.
- Remove the stickers from a 2-liter soda bottle, and wash and dry it completely. Drill two small holes in the bottom of the bottle, and thread a piece of wire through them. Twist the two ends of the wire together to hang it. Insert dowels near the bottom of the bird feeder and cut an opening for the birds.
- Place all-purpose birdseed in a plastic zipper bag, spread some shortening or lard on a stale bagel and place it inside the zipper bag. Shake until the bagel is well coated. Hang the bagel from a tree with a piece of string.
- Thread a long piece of yarn through a cardboard tube. Lay the tube on a piece of wax paper and spread honey all over the tube. Sprinkle birdseed on the wax paper and roll the tube in the birdseed until it's well coated. Tie the yarn and hang the bird feeder.
- String doughnut-shaped cereal on a long piece of yarn. Tie the ends of the yarn together and hang.
- Press cookie cutters into pieces of stale bread. Hang the bread shapes from string.
Masquerade Masks Made for Kids
What is a circus without some flair? Learn to create a papier-mache mask for your follies.
Washable Crayon T-Shirts for Kids
Help kids create t-shirts they can color again and again after every washing.
Project for Kids: You've Got Mail
Create your own personalized mailbox where you can leave notes from any of your friends and family.
Make a Tailor's Tape Growth Chart
Take note of your child's changes in height with a growth chart that's larger than life.
Project for Kids: Friendly Foam Decor
Create a hanging mobile or a storybook world out of foamy creatures, tissue paper and glitter.
How to Build a Child's Wooden Rocking Horse
Add to your old-fashioned Christmas with this wooden rocking horse. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
How to Make Toy Soap
Give kids a reason to take a bath by making soap with their favorite toy in it.
How to Make a Tin Can Lantern
So simple to make that the kids can help — and so special when the sun goes down!
Kids' Craft: Easy Doily Treat Cups
Get the kids crafting to turn inexpensive paper doilies into cute treat cups perfect for filling with candy, cookies, small toys or a cupcake. They're a sweet surprise for Valentine's Day or Easter and make a great party favor.
Kid's Halloween Makeup Tutorial: Pirate
Transform your little buccaneer into a pillaging pirate this Halloween with our easy-to-follow makeup tutorial and costume tips.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.