Homemade Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Skip the can and opt for a homemade version of these delicious breakfast treats.
For the dough:
1/4 ounce package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/4 teaspoon
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For the filling:
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
For the glaze:
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water (110 degrees F) and 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth.
3. Add yeast mixture to milk mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. Add additional flour if needed. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Place dough in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours. For a warm location to let yeast rise, turn on oven for one minute, then turn off. Set bowl inside oven.
5. When doubled in size, press dough down using your fists. Roll out on a floured surface into a 9x15-inch rectangle.
6. Spread softened butter all over dough. Mix sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over buttered dough.
7. Beginning at the 15-inch side, roll up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 15-20 slices.
8. Coat the bottom of baking pan with butter or baking spray.
9. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes in warm location.
10. Bake for about 30 minutes or until lightly golden.
11. While rolls are baking, combine glaze ingredients using an electric mixer. Brush glaze onto tops of cooled rolls.