Chocolate and Candied Orange Christmas Cookies Recipe
Dress up a basic chocolate cookie dough recipe for the holidays by adding candied orange.
By: Heather Baird
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 egg white, beaten
8 ounces candied orange
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar together until just incorporated.
2. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix again on low speed, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl intermittently as needed.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and salt. Add to butter and egg mixture. Mix on low speed until a dough is formed and there are no longer any streaks of butter in the mixing bowl.
4. The dough will clump around the paddle attachment while being mixed. If your mixture does not come together and is crumbly, add ice-cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough clumps.
5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Turn the dough out onto a sheet of wax paper and top with a second sheet. Roll dough into an oblong disc between the papers with a rolling pin.
7. Transfer dough — wax paper and all — to a large cookie sheet. Wrap dough tightly onto cookie sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
9. Remove top sheet of wax paper and roll dough a little thinner (Image 1). It should not be sticky. You may dust the surface lightly with flour if it is sticky, but not too much.
10. Roll dough to a 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thickness.
11. Cut dough into 3-inch squares using a cookie cutter (Image 1) and place on parchment–lined baking sheets.
12. Lightly brush squares with egg white (Image 2).
13. Evenly divide candied orange between the cut dough squares (Image 3).
14. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden around the edges and fragrant. Let cool completely.
Pear-Filled Swedish Pancakes With Lavender-Infused Honey Recipe
These rolled pancakes are paired with sweet pears and floral-infused honey that add a flavorful twist to the traditional holiday breakfast.
Jam-Filled Danish Doughnut Recipe
Create a festive display on your breakfast table with a towering tree-shaped stack of Danish doughnuts. Turn this traditional pancake into a flavorful treat by filling them with unique preserves.
Cheddar Chive Muffins With Hard-Boiled Egg
Delight your family with a hearty, savory muffin with a hard-boiled egg tucked inside.
How to Create a Holiday Bellini Bar
Make the morning merry with a winter-inspired bar cart featuring a bellini station and winter fruits.
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
Raise a glass and toast the seasonal by serving this truly traditional holiday eggnog. Serve the non-alcoholic base with your favorite spirit on the side, if desired.
Cashew Dulce de Leche Christmas Cookies Recipe
Add chopped cashews, cinnamon and dulce de leche on top of basic sugar cookies to give them a sweet holiday kick.
Jam-Filled Linzer Cookies
Raspberry and apricot jam are sandwiched between two buttery crusts with a small cutout on top to create this classic holiday dessert.
Set Up a Holiday Hot Chocolate Bar
During the winter offer guests an alternate sundae station by creating a hot chocolate bar. Set out toppings like whipped cream, chocolate chips and peppermints so they can create the ultimate holiday treat.
Chocolate Christmas Cookies Recipe
Incorporate unsweetened cocoa powder into a classic Christmas sugar cookie recipe to get a chocolate-dough variation.
Easy Gingerbread Dough Recipe
This sturdy dough is perfect for gingerbread architecture during the holiday season.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.