How to do a Door-to-Window Conversion
Got a door that gets little usage? Why not turn it into a window?
Materials and Tools:
1 sheet 1/2" a/c plywood
16 feet of wood trim
6 8-foot 2x4s
1 sheet 1/2" drywall
1 roll R13 insulation
paint and painting supplies
power miter saw
Replacing the essentially non-functional exterior door with a window will make the home more secure and will enhance the look of the room by letting in more natural light. Following are the basic steps in the project:
1. Remove the old door, and carefully remove all interior and exterior trim. We worked from the top down to avoid disturbing the existing header.
2. The threshold was removed, but the original door sill was also left in place since it caps the floor joists underneath. Removing it would necessitate additional work on the exterior to keep the area watertight.
3. With the door and trim removed, measure down and mark each side of the opening for the window sill plate.
4. Cut and install jack studs to hold the sill in place. We installed the support studs 16 inches on-center.
5. With frame and support for the window built, install 1/2" plywood on the outside and place insulation in the area between the panels.
6. Install drywall on the inside.
Note: We weren't able to match the house’s original siding exactly so, on the exterior, we opted to put a decorative panel beneath the window.
7. Stain the window. Allow the stain to cure fully, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once the stain has dried, set the window in place, shimming it plumb and level.
8. Once the window is plumb and level in the frame, secure it in place with nails.
9. With the window installed, stain the interior molding. Paint the interior wall and the exterior panel to complete the project.
Installing Fiberglass Batt Insulation
Use these tips and techniques to ensure proper installation of fiberglass insulation.
Finding the Source of a Window Leak
Here are some tips on keeping windows watertight.
How to Install a Tin and Beam Ceiling
An old ceiling is restored with new beams and tin tiles.
How to Store Cleaning Supplies
Let’s face it: Cleaning isn't most people’s idea of fun. But there’s also no reason to make it harder than it has to be. Take some of the pain out of household chores with these tips for keeping cleaning supplies sorted and at the ready.
Easy Storage Guidelines
Develop rules and go step by step so storage decisions don't seem overwhelming.
How to Make a Guitar Rack
Save space and display your prized instruments with these step-by-step instructions.
Dramatic Striped Ceiling Update
The ceiling is a room's fifth wall. Give this often overlooked area a big dose of personality with an easier-than-it-looks graphic paint treatment.
Roofing Component Basics
Roofing terminology can be a bit overwhelming. These basic roofing definitions will help get your project off on the right foot.
Fix a Door That Won't Stay Shut
Fix a door that won't stay shut with these step-by-step instructions.
Creative Storage Ideas for Cabinets
When choosing kitchen cabinetry, consider features that make it easier to reach your items
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.