How to Create a Coffered Ceiling
A coffered ceiling adds Old-English style to a home office.
Materials and Tools:
chalk line (snap line)
1. Stain all your oak wood and your interior molding. First coat with a paintbrush and then wipe with a clean cloth to expose the wood grain.
2. Determine the layout of the ceiling grid. Make sure the longest beams will run parallel to the ceiling joists so they will be properly supported.
3. Use a chalk line to draw the grid on the ceiling.
4. Measure the length and width of the grid and cut the 2x4s down to the appropriate sizes.
5. Fasten the 2x4s to the ceiling along designated lines.
6. Measure the length for the finished pieces of oak and cut to size. In most designs, the vertical pieces sit slightly lower than the horizontal pieces.
7. Attach the finished pieces of oak to the 2x4s using a nail gun.
8. Measure the length needed for the interior crown molding of each box. The molding will cover the joint where the vertical piece meets the ceiling.
9. Cut to size and fasten.