Hip '70s-Style Bedroom
Retro style transforms a young guy's bedroom.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Retro furniture and an earthtone color palette set the stage for a hip '70s look.
Kristan Cunningham, Dave Sheinkopf and Spencer Anderson inject some '70s style into the lifeless bedroom. Here's how:
Furniture - $432
- Sheinkopf finds an orange retro chair and a pair of wood and chrome sconces at a thrift store. The sconces are incorporated into Anderson's custom headboard. (chair: From the Hip)
Bedding and Window Treatments - $325
- Layers of bedding give the room texture while tweed window treatments bring in a masculine feeling. (pillows: Urban Outfitters - 05430811810117182, 1028507; window rods: Anna's Linens - Cognac, 824182; duvet cover and shams: Linens 'n Things - Brown Microsuede / 841212007551 & 841212007674)
Art & Accessories - $87
- Wood-grain self-adhesive shelf paper is used to give the sliding closet doors some '70s style. Cunningham cuts the paper into various size strips and applies them to the doors to create a barcode pattern. She uses leftover pieces of paper to create wall art inside orange frames.
- Orange accessories, like a retro clock and contemporary frames, add pop to the earthtone color scheme. (orange clock: Urban Outfitters - 05270445810270023; orange frames: Urban Outfitters - 05260687810389286)
Hardware and Incidentals - $66
Lighting - $64
- Cunningham creates a unique light fixture out of chrome shower-curtain rods and a precut wooden oval. She drills holes into the oval, cuts the shower curtain into sections then threads the electrical wiring through the rods and holes. The wiring is held in place with cotter pins. Small globe lights are inserted in the bottom of the rods.
Paint and Supplies - $21
- The walls are painted a warm tan, which is the perfect neutral backdrop to the orange accessories. (paint: Behr - Warm Earth 290F-6A)
Project Total - $995