How to Move Houseplants to Your New Home
These 5 tips will help ensure that your houseplants arrive at their new house in tiptop shape
1. If you're moving across town, simply pack your plants in open boxes. Be sure to cushion the sides of the pots with newspaper. Then put the plants in the car and head to your new house.
2. For taller plants, pack sphagnum moss into the top of each pot. Wrap each pot with plastic and tie it with string or tape. Then you can tip the plant on its side in the car without losing all the potting mix and making a mess.
3. If you're moving in the winter, wrap plants with newspaper before loading them. Even a few seconds of exposure to extreme cold will injure them. If your garage is connected to your house, load your plants while the car is in the garage.
4. Traveling long distances with plants in a car is tricky. It can be especially challenging if you're making several overnight stops along the way. If you insist on doing it, treat your plants as you would your pets: Don't let them get too hot or too cold. If you leave them in the car for more than an hour, leave the windows in the car open slightly, and make sure they get enough water.
5. You can arrange to have plants shipped by land or air. Shipping can be expensive, however, and there are no guarantees. If you're moving a long distance, pick out three of your favorite plants and move them however you choose, then have a plant sale for the rest and use the money to buy new plants for your new house.
How to Finance a New Home
Tips and insider secrets to getting the best financing deal.
Deciding How to Move
You're moving! Now it's time to decide how you're going to get there. Before you start filling boxes with your belongings, consider which moving options work best for you.
Moving Day Tips: How to Pack for a Move
These 10 tips will help you pack more efficiently so your move goes smoothly.
Making Yourself at Home After a Move
Moving day is over and now it's time to settle into your new home. Get tips on how to unpack and get your house in order without stressing out.
How to Handle Loss or Damage During a Move
Hiring movers is an efficient way to move, but there's always a chance that something will get damaged in transport. If an item is damaged during your move, take these steps.
How to Buy in New Construction
Five steps to owning a newly-built home.
The Moving Parts of an ARM
Here's how to weigh an adjustable rate mortgage against a fixed rate mortgage.
How Soon Can I Sell My Home?
Is flipping your house a good idea? Here's what you need to know.
Creative Ways to Announce Your Move
You're in the new house (finally!). Time to throw a housewarming party to celebrate. Check out these websites for tons of cool moving announcements.
How to Write Your Vision of Home
Your "Vision of Home" statement is not simply a vision of a house, but a statement describing the desired state of your life after you buy your home. Here's how to draft the vision of your dream house.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada