Update Old Closet Doors to Look Like Shoji Screens
Transform 1980s sliding, mirrored-closet doors into shoji-style screens.
Tools and Materials:
self-adhesive wood veneer sheets
spray paint (black)
dark walnut stain
paintbrush, gloves and rags for staining
spray can glass frosting
utility knife with fresh blade
6-foot metal ruler and a tape measure
1. Remove the closet doors and set on a work surface. Our doors had brass trim which we spray painted black to make them look more contemporary. Let the spray paint dry thoroughly.
2. Use acetone and a razor blade to scrape off any excess black spray paint from the mirror surface.
3. Brush the dark walnut stain onto the sheet of veneer. Wipe the excess off with a rag.
4. Measure and mark the veneer into 2-inch strips for the mirror trim. Use a metal ruler and utility knife with fresh blade to cut the veneer.
5. Apply the self-adhering strips to the perimeter of the mirror door. Smooth out the strips with a rubber roller. Use a framing square to ensure tight 90 degree angles where your veneer meets. Use the same process to add strips horizontally.
6. Spray the mirror surface with canned glass frosting.
7. Hang the doors on their original track for a completely updated closet door.
French Kitchen Islands
If you are thinking of saying "oui" to a French kitchen design, then it's important for your kitchen island to match your style.
Kitchen Window Designs
Kitchen windows are a point of style and a strategic way to transform the overall look and feel of your space.
Kitchen Cabinet Plans
Learn where to find kitchen cabinet plans and begin designing the kitchen of your dreams.
Make a Floating Wood Mantel
Give your fireplace a contemporary update with a modern mantel made from mitered wood planks.
Country Kitchen Islands
Both charming and sophisticated, country-inspired kitchen islands are a great way to add personality and comfort to the kitchen.
French-Style Kitchen Islands
Pour on the European charm with a French-inspired kitchen island.
Kitchen Island Color Options
Discover how a splash of color can add just the right touch to your kitchen island.
Kitchen Island Legs
Without its legs, a kitchen island wouldn't have two "feet" to stand upon. Here's how to find the best ones for your design.
Kitchen Island Legs
Kitchen island legs add furniture-like appeal to kitchen islands.
Victorian Kitchen Design
Get all the info you need on Victorian kitchen design, and prepare to add an elegant and historical design to your kitchen space.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.