How To Paint Furniture
We've got 8 simple steps for adding a coat of color.
Materials and Tools:
latex multipurpose primer
oil-based paint (white, dark and light gray, beige, black)
1. Remove the drawers and mark their order with a piece of tape on the bottom and a number. Remove all the hardware and store it in a bag or jar.
2. Sand the piece lightly and remove the dust (both new and old furniture should be sanded).
3. Prime the entire piece evenly and let dry. For the drawers, mask-off the inside side rails so that the primer only touches the drawer front. Put a tarp on a countertop or a work bench, and then set the drawers on it with the front over the edge. This makes it easy to work in a standing position. Let dry.
4. Lightly sand the entire piece again to remove any raised wood fibers and remove the dust.
5. Always paint furniture from the top down because if any paint gets on the bottom of the piece, it will be covered with the final coat. For the marble effect, apply oil-based gray paint by pouncing the natural-bristle brush for a soft mottled look. Immediately start adding the next series of colors, working from the darker gray to beige to lighter gray, pouncing the wet paint to blend it together.
6. Drag a small brush with black paint through the wet top to create marble-like veins.
7. For the body, apply oil-based paint starting at the front working with all the horizontal pieces first, and then the verticals. Fill-in the sides by applying the paint, and then softly laying it off from top to bottom. Paint the drawer fronts by working from side to side.
8. Apply more coats as necessary, depending on the chosen color. Once the piece is completely dry (two days for oil-based paint), replace the hardware and slide the drawers into position.
Best Places to Find Color Inspiration
Designer David Bromstad shares some of his favorite places to go for color inspiration, which can sometimes be the most unexpected and unusual places.
Choose a Perfect Palette in 3 Easy Steps
Adding color to your home seems overwhelming — but it doesn't have to be! We give you three simple steps to picking a color palette for any room.
Check out these tips for keeping your furniture environmentally-friendly by recycling, reclaiming and refinishing.
Give Old Furnishings a New Purpose
With a bit of imagination, furniture and found objects can do double-duty in your home.
Ode to the Adirondack Chair
Summer's favorite recliner has a great past and bright future.
How To: Making a Desk Out Of An Antique Door
An antique door and some salvaged stair posts come together to create an eco-friendly desk.
Updating Your Home: Install Floating Shelves
These stylish shelves also add practical storage space.
Tips for Painting Furniture
Stretch your decorating budget by giving a tired table a fresh coat of paint.
Seven Tips for Mattress Shopping
Our mattress holds a king-sized responsibility to deliver a good night's sleep. Here's how to buy the right one.
Shopping for a Good Night's Sleep
What the experts say about shopping for a new mattress.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.