Expanding a Window to a Door
Add an extra opening to your home by converting a window to a door.
Exclusive directions from Don't Sweat It host Steve Watson for how to expand a window in your home into an entrance.
Materials and Tools:
pre-hung door kit
paint or stain
pneumatic nail gun (optional)
paint or stain brushes
1. Draw lines down the exterior wall, directly below the edges of the window to have a guide to cut by. Start demolition from the outside in order to check for any electrical wiring or other obstructions.
2. If cutting through vinyl siding, place the circular saw blade on backwards to prevent excessive damage. Cut through the siding, following the lines drawn on the wall.
3. Remove the vinyl siding and any insulation or wood siding underneath.
4. Once the studs are exposed, check for any electrical wiring or other obstructions.
5. Remove the window casing and window from the wall using the prybar and hammer.
6. Using a reciprocating saw, cut along the studs all the way down to the floor.
7. Remove the remaining wall.
8. Measure dimensions of the opening and cut 2x4s to build a frame that will hold the door. Nail all the frame pieces with a nail gun into the sides of the opening.
9. Slide the new door in place and nail it to the frame. Install the hardware on the door, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
10. Finish off the interior of the door by nailing 1x6s to the sides and top.
11. Put a frame up on the outside as well, using materials to match your house.
12. If necessary, build steps to lead up to the door. Measure the step tread in order to figure out the spacing of the pre-cut stringers. Once determined, nail the stringers into the wall for support.
13. Nail the step tread into place.
14. Sand the entire trim and steps, remove dust. Paint or stain as desired.
Demolition: Converting a Window to a Door
Follow these guidelines for removing a window and creating a rough opening.
How to do a Door-to-Window Conversion
Got a door that gets little usage? Why not turn it into a window?
How to Install Windows
Let there be light and ventilation with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Install a Garage-Door Opener
All you need is three hours and these easy step-by-step instructions.
How to Install a Dead-Bolt Lock
For burglar-proofing, it's a must-have.
Installing Pocket Doors
Steve Watson helps install pocket doors in keeping with the style of a Victorian interior.
Maximum Value Energy Efficiency Projects: Windows and Doors
Just by replacing your windows and doors with more efficient models, you can save energy, improve comfort, minimize condensation, increase natural light, reduce fading and lower HVAC costs.
Replacing an AC Unit With a Window
Build a window sash for an opening that won't fit a standard-size window.
Build an Interior Wall With Pocket Doors
Do you want two rooms where once there was one? Just follow these step-by-step instructions.
How to Install Metal Door Arches
Remake an entrance with these step-by-step instructions.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada