Maximum Home Value Outdoor Living Projects: Lighting
Learn how landscape lighting can brighten up your outdoor living space.
By highlighting your home’s different angles, transforming your gardens and pathways into beautiful landscaped creations or creatively accenting a deck or patio for entertaining, outdoor lighting boosts curb appeal and home value while also being the most cost effective outdoor living project for homeowners.
- Energy efficiency. Renewable energy for the home has become a hot trend in the last decade and outdoor lighting is no exception. Solar and LED powered lighting can offer energy efficient illumination while also being easy to install and easy on your wallet.
- Quality finishes. Outdoor lighting fixtures now offer finishes that add pizazz to any outdoor space. Whether it’s a faux finish or higher-end metal like copper or brass, that little extra touch can go a long way to maximize style and visual interest.
When it comes to outdoor lighting, “have fun, use your imagination and use common sense,” says appraisal expert Leslie Sellers, president of the Appraisal Institute. By investing big bucks in high-tech lighting and labor costs, the end result becomes functionally obsolete, says Sellers, because in today’s technologically-progressive market something bigger and better always comes along.
Your best bet is to invest in a quality product built for function while still maintaining a sense of style. This way, a replacement can be made after a number of years at a lower cost instead of making a large investment that loses its appeal of being the “next big thing” after only a few short years.
- On a Budget: For the homeowner looking for a low cost option that still gives a dramatic lighting effect, pre-packaged outdoor lighting kits can be a great choice. With many kits priced at less than $50 and easy to install, a homeowner can knock out this project in a couple of hours. Although these kits are made of lower-grade materials and don’t last as long, they still offer the look and feel of higher-end lighting.
- Mid-Range: If you are looking for higher end materials such as a real metal finish and longer-lasting quality, then consider investing in lighting that ranges from around $300 to $400. Spending more on the lighting itself but saving money by installing it on your own can keep cost down while still maintaining the quality and longevity you desire.
- High-End: For those who are willing to spend more for a detailed and extravagant lighting project, hire a professional who can custom-create a lighting plan built around your home’s unique features and landscaping design. Implementing a pro’s plan can be heavier on the pocketbook then do-it-yourself lighting, but the quality and style will not go unnoticed.
Maximum Home Value Landscaping Projects: Lighting
From LED to solar power to low voltage, landscape lighting comes in many forms and price ranges—and it adds style, value and security to your home!
Copy This Room: 7 Stylish Dorm Room Decorating Ideas
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Jul 27, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
The Votes Are In! Tour This Tiny + Charming Cottage
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Jul 23, 2015 by Farima Alavi
What’s Your Yard Art Spirit Animal? Take the Quiz!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Jul 22, 2015 by Kayla Kitts