Maximum Home Value Landscaping Projects: Lighting
From LED to solar power to low voltage, landscape lighting comes in many forms and price ranges—and it adds style, value and security to your home!
Outdoor lighting is like jewelry for your home’s exterior. Decorative lights along walkways, area lighting for outdoor spaces and flood lights over entrance areas and at corners of the house are all appealing ways to incorporate lighting into your landscaping. And with inexpensive options available, lights are an affordable way to add style to your home and provide safety and security at night.
- Energy efficiency. New technologies in LED and solar-powered landscape lighting have become increasingly popular for their affordability, convenient installation and ease of maintenance. Low voltage lighting kits continue to be a solid choice for homeowners.
- Quality finishes. Lighting fixtures come in a variety of styles so you can customize a look for any space. Choose solid brass or copper for a high-end look.
It’s easy to forget about outdoor lights after installing them. “Many homeowners expect lights to work forever, but you really should replace the battery after one year,” suggests Leslie Sellers, president of the Appraisal Institute.
- On a Budget: Landscape lighting used to be expensive and difficult to put in and maintain. These days, you can buy inexpensive pre-packaged lighting kits that cost as little as $40 and take about an hour or two to install. They’re made of plastic and won’t last long, but they work well.
- Mid-Range: If you want durable and attractive outdoor lighting but can’t spend a lot of money for professional work, there are systems that cost about $300 and last three or four years. Afterwards, you can upgrade to a new model if desired.
- High-End: Consult a landscape lighting professional to create a comprehensive system that works with your overall landscape design. He/she can offer lighting solutions for everything from walkways to outdoor spaces like gardens, decks and patios.
Maximum Home Value Landscaping Projects: Lawn
An ugly front yard not only brings your home’s value down, but it drags down prices for the neighborhood as well. Learn some simple ways to spruce up your lawn and garden design.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada