Summer Gardening Planner
Follow this handy checklist and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
- Harden off tender seedlings sown indoors.
- Plant summer bedding and vegetable plants.
- Plant up containers and hanging baskets.
- Protect young plant growth from pests, especially slugs.
- Put houseplants, including citrus, outside for summer.
- Feed flowering shrubs and roses to promote flowering.
- Prune evergreen shrubs.
- Earth up potatoes and harvest after flowering.
- In late summer, sow beet, radishes, spinach and lettuce every two weeks.
- Take softwood cuttings.
- Sow spring cabbages.
- Trim lavender hedges after flowering.
- Prune wisteria to restrict growth.
- Take semi-ripe wood cuttings.
- Make an insect hotel in time for winter hibernation.
- Water containers and new plantings frequently, particularly in hot weather.
- Weed beds and borders.
- Mow the lawn as required.
- Deadhead flowering plants to extend blooming.
- Prune hedges and topiary as required.
- Tie climbers in to their supports.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties, and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.