Fall's Bounty Window Box
When decorating your home for fall, don't forget the outside. Fill outdoor containers with autumn's bounty for a stylish, seasonal look.
Materials and Tools:
vinyl-covered chicken wire
wire cutters or scissors
wood or bamboo skewers
small live evergreens
1. Add a layer of soil to the bottom of a window box. Cut a piece of chicken wire to fit the top of the window box and attach with staples.
2. Choose items for the window box arrangement. These can include dried elements, living plants or a combination of both. Include elements of different heights, shapes, colors and textures. To secure a gourd in the arrangement, drill a small hole in the bottom of the gourd, insert a wooden skewer and seal the hole with a touch of silicone caulk. This will prevent rot and make the gourd last a little longer.
3. "Plant" items in the window box by sticking them down through the chicken wire. Don't just line everything up straight and level; position elements to show off their most dramatic sides and emphasize variety.
4. Many dried grasses can be delicate and wispy. For a better-looking presentation, gather them into a bunch and use floral tape to secure them to a wooden skewer. Make sure the skewer extends beyond the bottom of the bouquet. Insert the skewer through the chicken wire.
5. Add some live greenery to the box: cypress, evergreen and juniper plants will hold their color through the winter. Cut a hole in the chicken wire with snips and plant the evergreen in the soil.
6. After Thanksgiving, make the window boxes a part of your Christmas decor by replacing the fall elements with pine cones, pieces of point pines, cedar branches, holly or even a string of lights.
Burlap Bubble Wreath
Dress up your entryway and impress your guests with a door decorated for fall.
Easy-to-Make Gourd Candles
Create festive fall candles using winter squash as a mold.
Dress Up Your Autumn Table With Fall Leaves
No centerpiece necessary; add seasonal color to your Thanksgiving table with these fall leaf streamers. They're a snap to make and they beautifully bring the outdoors in.
Create Autumn Leaf Place Cards
Bring the riotous color of fall leaves to your holiday dining table.
How to Make an Autumn-Inspired Framed Mirror
This multidimensional mirror features wooden branches and fabric-painted leaves, bringing instant style to any home.
Appliqued Autumn Pillows
Cozy up to these felt appliqued pillows on cool autumn nights.
Printable Flower Garden Mother's Day Card
Moms everywhere will love this 3-D cut-out card featuring patterned spring flowers. The inside is blank, so you can add your own personal Mother's Day note.
Jute-Covered Monogram Wreath
Personalize your door for fall with this gorgeous DIY craft-store wreath.
How to Craft a Faux Bird's Nest With Robin's Eggs
Bring spring indoors with an easy-to-craft decorative bird's nest you can whip up while watching your favorite show. Fill the realistic-looking nest with painted robin's eggs, dyed eggs or Easter candy.
How to Make an Egg and Moss Wreath for Spring
Create a moss and egg wreath with paper mache eggs and light green Spanish moss for a simple and natural spring look.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.