Spicy Shrimp Toast
These decadent, bite-sized shrimp toasts are crisp, super savory and bursting with flavor. Coupled with the sweet chile sauce, this is the perfect cocktail party appetizer.
Serves 8 to 10
Sweet Chile Sauce
2/3 cup rice vinegar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons hot chile sauce (Sambal)
2 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolved in 3 1/2 tbs. water)
1 tablespoon ginger, peeled
2 garlic cloves
1/2 pound tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup water chestnuts
1 egg white
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon hot chile sauce (Sambal)
Salt and white pepper to taste
1/2 loaf sourdough bread, crusts removed and cut into 1 inch triangles
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1. For sweet chile sauce: Place vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer until sugar dissolves, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chile sauce and cornstarch slurry and bring to a boil. Once mixture has come to a boil, remove from heat and allow to cool (sauce will thicken as it cools).
2. For shrimp toast: Place ginger and garlic in a food processor and pulse 6 times.
3. Scrape down sides of bowl and add remaining Shrimp Paste ingredients. Pulse an additional 8 to 10 times or until you have a paste consistency that still has some texture. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread 2 teaspoons of mixture onto each triangle of bread and set aside.
5. Pour oil into a heavy-bottom skillet and place over medium-high heat.
6. Carefully place triangles of bread (in batches) shrimp-side down and fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Flip triangles over and fry for an additional 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm with sweet chile sauce.
Chocolate Mousse Crepes
Here's an exquisite recipe to serve on elegant occasions.
Eating Healthy at a Party
Here's how to make healthy choices at the buffet table.
Baked Ice Cream Delights Kids
Food expert shows how to make fun birthday food even more fun.
Making Classic Cole Slaw
Paula Deen shares the recipe for her classic cole slaw.
Dark Chocolate Truffles Recipe
Here's an easy gift idea: Dip it in chocolate, dress it up and give it away.
This simple, fruity drink is a cross between a top-shelf margarita and a champagne cocktail.
Garnish this vodka martini with a jasmine bloom.
How to Throw a Holiday Cookie Party
Learn how to swap recipes, trim the tree and serve gingerbread cookies.
Quick and Easy Party Recipes
Finger foods and light bites are perfect party fare. Get 15 recipes right here.
Michael Chiarello's Succulent Shrimp Boil
Impress your friends and host an outdoor seafood feast. We've got a star chef's recipe.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.