Fall Recipe: Chocolate-Dipped Pumpkin Madeleines
These autumnal pumpkin cookies are the just-right treat to serve at a Halloween party, Thanksgiving dinner or any fall get-together. They're also the not-too-sweet complement to a cup of tea and party of one.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of ginger, allspice and cloves
6 tablespoons butter
2 eggs at room temperature
1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1-1/4 cups dark chocolate chips
ice cream or cookie scoop
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a madeleine pan with a generous coat of butter and a light dusting of flour.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and spices and set aside. Melt butter and set aside to cool.
3. Place eggs and sugars in a mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed until thickened or about 5 minutes (Image 1).
4. Add the vanilla and pumpkin puree (Image 2) then mix until fully incorporated.
5. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, add the flour in thirds, folding after each addition just until flour is moistened (Image 1).
6. Add butter in thirds and fold after each addition until thoroughly mixed (Image 2).
7. Use a leveled medium ice cream or cookie scoop to add batter to the madeleine pans (Image 1).
8. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back slightly and edges are browned.
9. Allow to cool only for about a minute before removing them carefully with the tip of a knife (Image 2). Allow madeleines to cool completely on a wire rack.
10. Place 1 cup of the chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl over a small saucepan filled with 1 inch of water. Bring the water to a simmer and melt the chocolate, stirring frequently. When chocolate is completely melted, remove it from the heat and add the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. Stir until chips are melted.
11. Dip cooled madeleines into the chocolate with the scalloped side down coating about 2/3 of the surface and just about a 1/4 inch on the cookie's back side.
12. Lay madeleines on a cooling rack, back side down, and allow them to cool/harden. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.