How To Prepare for an Open House
Get It Sold host and home-staging expert Sabrina Soto shares her 15-tip checklist on what to do before opening your house to buyers.
Tip: Print out this checklist, and mark each item off as you get your house ready to sell.
1. Eliminate half of your belongings as clutter can cost a sale. Rent a storage unit or portable pod for extraneous pieces of furniture or knickknacks. Another idea is to ask a friend if you can borrow some space in his or her garage.
2. Use "home wash" (hose attachment available at home improvement stores) to clean the outside of the house.
3. Clean rain gutters as well as outside windows and screens.
4. Make sure the front door is inviting. Paint the door if needed. Also, replace any outdated outdoor lighting fixtures.
5. Buy new house numbers if the old ones are dated or faded. Be sure buyers can see the new ones from the curb.
6. Buy a new welcome mat.
7. Organize all closets and drawers. Buyers might look there.
8. Make any necessary repairs so that buyers don't have to add that to their list of expenses.
9. Rearrange furniture to make rooms appear as large as possible.
10. Make every surface shine, from ceiling fans to baseboards. Don't forget interior windows, mirrors and floors.
11. Scrub every inch of the kitchen and bathrooms.
12. Depersonalize each room, removing photo frames and posters or artwork.
13. Buy new linens and pillows if necessary. Be certain they are a neutral color.
14. Buy air neutralizer and spray it often.
15. Let go emotionally of your home, and get ready for an offer!
Essential Home-Selling Tips
What is staging? Sabrina Soto, Get It Sold host and home-staging expert, knows. Here are her top tips for helping you compete in today's real estate market.
Easy Ideas to Declutter Your House
We’re not talking about sorting stuffed animals by size, or shoes by color. The HGTV Magazine experts are talking about real-life solutions: the boxes, baskets, and pockets you need to store all your stuff!
Staging Dos and Don'ts From Bridget Savereux
The Stagers' host shares her top 5 dos and top 5 don'ts for staging a home.
Clear Office Clutter in Three Easy Steps
Professional organizer and guest Liz Witts shares advice for getting a home office in order.
Top 10 Rules for Staging Homes from The Stagers
Matthew Finlason gives his home staging tips to help you get ready for a home sale.
Five Ways to Simplify Your Kitchen
A trio of experts weighs in on the steps you need to take to create a structured, stress-free kitchen.
Top Tips for Throwing a Successful Yard Sale
Throw the best yard sale in the neighborhood with these clever tips.
5 Tips for Fighting Household Odors
Get to the root of the problem with a little routine maintenance.
Five Steps to a Kitchen Facelift
With these simple reorganization and decor ideas, you can catch the attention of homebuyers without breaking the bank.
How Much Clutter Do You Tolerate?
Go room by room with this quiz to shape solutions that are right for you.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada