10 Tips for Shopping Yard Sales Like a Pro
What you should know before you set out on a weekend shopping spree.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
It’s exhausting out there, so before you head out for a day on the yard-sale circuit, be sure to go over this handy list of tips. You’ll thank us.
1. Wear comfortable shoes. You’ll be on your feet all day, including time spent on grass and dirt.
2. Map your route to make the best use of your time. Stopping at sites with multiple vendors gives you more shopping time and requires less driving time.
3. Wear sunscreen or a hat or both, and try to keep your face in the shade.
4. Bring water and snacks.
5. Have a tape measure handy to make sure large purchases such as furniture will fit inside your house.
6. Hit the ATM for cash before you head out; most vendors don’t take credit cards.
7. Take along a rolling tote to hold your purchases. This minimizes the amount of weight you have to carry and keeps your hands free to keep shopping.
8. Pack hand sanitizer. If you’re shopping at a large venue, the only restrooms might be portable ones, which don’t include sinks for proper hand-washing.
9. Think ahead on shipping. If you buy something big, will you send it from an overnight shipping service or bus service, or will you need to rent a truck or trailer?
10. If you see something you like, buy it, because when you come back later it will probably be gone.
Throw the best yard sale in the neighborhood with these clever tips.