How to Eliminate Pet Odors
Check out these 6 tips for keeping pets smelling sweet.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
If odor is an issue with your pets, chances are the fix is as close your medicine cabinet or refrigerator. Consider these potential solutions:
1. Check your pet's ears. If they smell like a dirty pair of tennis shoes, clean them with some mineral oil or baby oil. Put two or three drops of oil in each ear and massage it in. Poke a cotton pad or ball way down in the ear and rub it around.
2. If your cat gets a little stinky, don't pop them in the tub. Instead, rub gentle baby wipes all over their fur.
3. Combat litter-box odor by sprinkling a generous amount of baking soda on the bottom before placing litter in a clean box. Every time the cat scratches, the baking soda will be mixed in.
4. Adding fruits and vegetables to pets' diets is a simple way to fight bad breath. Just mix in some chopped fruit or veggies with their dry food. They may not try it the first time, but keep at it and they'll probably eventually eat it. Try canned and partially frozen as well as fresh produce. You can also try toothpaste. Start by rubbing the teeth with your fingers when you're both relaxed. Then add a little pet toothpaste (very different from people toothpaste) on your finger when you rub. Finally, use a finger toothbrush with paste on it. If your pet just won't tolerate the brush, try rubbing its teeth with a towel specially designated for teeth cleaning.
5. If your pet has odor problems at the other end, try adding some yogurt to its diet. Mix a big dollop of plain yogurt with dry food.
6. When your dog has a run-in with a skunk, try this technique to get rid of the odor: Mix baking soda, medical-grade hydrogen peroxide and a couple of squirts of dishwashing liquid in a bucket of water. Stir well. Coax your dog to the washing area with some treats and then liberally sponge on the mixture. Make sure the entire body is covered with the mixture, and leave it on for five to 10 minutes. Rinse.