Spring Gardening Planner
Do these tasks during spring and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
- Cut back ornamental grasses, prairie-style borders and autumn-flowering perennials.
- Prepare beds and borders for planting; weed and dig over the soil; add organic matter where appropriate.
- Prune late-flowering shrubs, early summer-flowering clematis and roses.
- Cut lavender hedges back.
- Apply a granular fertilizer around shrubs, trees and perennials.
- Sow half-hardy annuals indoors.
- Pot up plug plants indoors.
- Lift and divide established clumps of perennials.
- Plant hardy grasses.
- Regularly deadhead spring-flowering bulbs and bedding plants.
- Repot Christmas trees.
- Plant perennials, summer-flowering bulbs and pond plants.
- Inside, plant Thai herbs.
- Plant indoor hanging basket.
- Sow hardy annuals directly outdoors; sow tender annuals indoors.
- Sow vegetables and plant potatoes.
- Sow a wildflower meadow.
- Mulch the soil.
- Start weeding.
- Prune early-flowering shrubs and early clematis after flowering.
- Stake herbaceous perennials.
- Start mowing the lawn.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.