Spicy Chicken and Sausage Pasta Recipe
This hearty chicken and sausage pasta is tossed in spicy, creamy Creole-style sauce that gives it a flavorful kick.
1 pound textured rigatoni pasta, cooked to al dente
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
8 ounces smoked andouille sausage
2 tablespoons grill seasoning
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons fresh basil, cut into ribbons
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
Yield: 4 servings
1. Season the chicken thighs on both sides with the grill seasoning. Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken, and brown until lightly golden all over and cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes (3 minutes per side). Remove chicken from pan, and return the skillet to the heat, reducing heat to medium.
2. Add the onions, garlic, green pepper, bay leaf, Worcestershire and hot sauces and spices. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the wine, and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any bits. Add the tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes until some of the liquid has been reduced.
4. Coarsely chop the chicken thighs into chunks. Slice the sausage to 1/4" thick. Once the liquid has reduced, add the chicken and sausage, cover and cook about 5-7 minutes until they are heated through. Stir in the cream.
5. Return drained pasta to the pot you previously cooked it in. Remove the bay leaf from sauce, and pour the chicken sausage sauce over the pasta. Toss over low heat for one minute. Garnish the pasta with the basil and parsley at the end, right before serving.