Pub-Style Pretzels and Beer Cheese Sauce Recipe
Serve these pretzels with your favorite beer at your next casual gathering.
By: Abigail Barnes
Yield: 6-8 pretzels
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 packet active yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour (will need extra for kneading)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon flavored seasoning of your choice (This recipe uses McCormick Grill Mates Molasses & Bacon)
Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Beer Sauce Ingredients
Yield: about one cup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
1/2 cup of beer (This recipe uses Sierra Nevada for its strong taste. Use a wheat beer or blonde ale for a milder taste.)
1/2 cup grated smoked Gouda
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a non-stick baking mat on a cookie sheet.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add yeast to warm water. Stir until dissolved. Stir in salt and sugar. Once mixed, add flour one cup at a time. Mix thoroughly until dough is thick and no longer sticky.
3. Create a floured surface for kneading. Knead dough for approximately 5 minutes. Separate dough into even sections, about six.
4. Roll dough into ropes (Image 1), making width even throughout. Make pretzel shapes by creating a circle with the dough. Twist ends and press down to finish shape (Image 2).
5. On a plate, mix sea salt and seasoning together for sprinkling. Beat egg in a small bowl and brush on pretzel tops. Place pretzels on baking sheet, and sprinkle salt mixture on top.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. After the first 5 minutes, switch to broil. Keep an eye on them to avoid over-browning. Remove from oven and serve warm with beer cheese dip.
Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Beer Sauce
1. In small saucepan, heat beer on low until it bubbles. Slowly whisk in flour, then add cheese (Image 3). Whisk until smooth.
2. Add sour cream, mustard and paprika while whisking. Add more flour for a thicker sauce, or more beer for a thinner sauce. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make Cheese Wheel Wrappers
Give the cheese lover in your life a basket filled with their favorite varieties, and wrap it in kraft paper for a sophisticated look.
How to Make a Men's Bespoke Apron
Spruce up Dad's barbecue or morning coffee routine with a rugged yet dapper denim apron featuring leather towel loops and a cellphone pocket.
How to Make a Scratch-Off Card for Father's Day
Give Dad a break this year with a DIY scratch-off lotto-style card with prizes like breakfast in bed, a free pass from mowing the lawn and a car wash.
How to Make a Barbecue Tool Belt
Give Dad the ultimate grilling accessory that will hold all the barbecue essentials.
How to Make a Custom T-Shirt for Father's Day
This year, give Dad a custom T-shirt by printing our free pattern and following our easy instructions.
Halloween Snack Recipe: Curse of the Mummy Mushrooms
Cremini mushrooms stuffed with walnuts, cream cheese and fresh herbs make the perfect Halloween party appetizer.
Raw Oysters on the Half Shell With Mignonette Sauce
Complement raw oysters with a simple yet tasty sauce made from shallots, lemon juice, peppercorns and vinegar.
Duck a L'Orange Recipe
Add sophistication and flair to your next soiree with duck a l'orange cut into cubes and skewered onto decorative picks.
Braised Pork Belly on From-Scratch Biscuits Recipe
Blackberry Farm in Walland, Tenn., shares a recipe for miniature braised pork belly sandwiches on fresh from-scratch buttermilk biscuits. These delectable finger foods are perfect as mouthwatering appetizers or a light main course option.
Dip Trio: Guacamole, Black Bean Salsa and Drunken Pico de Gallo
These Mexican-inspired appetizer ideas offer triple the fun.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.