Halloween Cocktail: Mr. Hyde Potion
8 ounces vodka
4 ounces parfait amour liqueur
1 ounce blackberry liqueur
2 ounces tarragon simple syrup (recipe follows)
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
1 ounce lavender syrup, available at most liquor stores
4 lavender sprigs
dry ice (optional) Note: Always observe dry ice safety measures: Never touch dry ice with bare skin and do not swallow.
purple sanding sugar for rim (optional)
Yield: 4 cocktails
1. Prepare the tarragon simple syrup by placing 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan.
2. Heat over medium-low heat until it reaches a low boil. Add two sprigs of fresh tarragon and reduce heat to low. Heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove tarragon and allow syrup to cool.
3. Place 2 blackberries on each lavender sprig and set aside. Tip: For best results, insert a toothpick through blackberry first to make a small hole for the lavender stem.
4. Cut and juice lemon. Strain to remove pulp, if desired. Add spirits, syrups and juice to a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake until very cold (about 20 seconds).
5. Pour drink into beakers, add a small piece of dry ice (optional) and a lavender-blackberry skewer. Note: Drink is safe to consume only after dry ice has completely dissolved.
Tip: Alternatively, moisten the rim of a cocktail glass and dip in purple sanding sugar. Add cocktail and small piece of dry ice. Lay lavender-blackberry skewer across the top of the glass and serve.