Gingerbread Layer Cake
Put a modern spin on a traditional holiday dessert with a layer cake made from basic gingerbread ingredients and homemade cream cheese frosting.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup molasses
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sour cream
4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper, then lightly coat with baking spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat together dark brown sugar and butter until fluffy.
4. Add eggs, molasses, sour cream and heavy cream. Combine well.
5. In another bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add to wet ingredients, and mix to combine.
6. Divide evenly between the two prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Let cool completely before icing.
1. Combine softened cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Whip until fluffy and well combined.
2. Add vanilla. Sift in confectioner's sugar one cup at a time.
3. Using an offset spreader (or spatula) frost each layer, top and sides of cake.