How to Remove Burn Marks on a Hardwood Floor
Rub 'em out with these step-by-step instructions.
Eliminating burned spots in a wood floor just takes some careful cutting with a pocketknife and a razor blade. Here’s how to do it:
Materials and Tools:
1. Wearing safety glasses, scrape the burn mark with a pocketknife to assess the damage and see how deep the burn goes. With the tip of the knife, carefully grind away burned wood. Always work with the grain of the wood.
2. Lightly brush the area with a brass bristle brush. Again, brush with the grain of the wood, and avoid making any deep scratches that will require sanding.
3. Brush away debris with a dry paintbrush and use the corner tip of a razor blade to remove the smaller specks of damage.
4. Clean the area again with the paintbrush.
5. Dab a bit of tung oil on the spot with a clean towel to restore color. If desired, smooth the area further with a steel wool pad. Apply a bit more tung oil and check the results.
How to Fix a Squeaky Floor
Keep it quiet with these troubleshooting tips.
Easy Floor Cleaning Tips
Keep all types of flooring clean and avoid premature wear with these simple tips.
How to Refinish Hardwood Floors
With hardwood back in style, it might be worthwhile to check your floors. If your floor was among those treasures that were buried, we can help put it back on display with these tips to refinish hardwood.
Paint Hardwood Floors With a Pattern
Breathe new life into old hardwood floors with a fresh coat of paint in an eye-catching pattern.
How To: Installing Floating Wooden Floors
Learn how to install a "floating" hardwood floor.
How to Install a Hardwood Floor
DIY experts give step-by-step instructions on how to install hardwood floors in any room.
Hardwood Flooring in the Kitchen
Hardwood floors are classic, timeless and durable. You can choose from a variety of colors and finishes to fit your needs
How to Install Hardwood Flooring in a Kitchen
Installing hardwood flooring in a kitchen is a great option because it lasts a long time. The experts show how to install fold and lock hardwood flooring material.
Install Laminate Flooring
Learn how to install durable and inexpensive laminate flooring it's a snap.
Install Tongue-and-Groove Wood-Veneer Flooring
No need for staples or glue with this "floating" floor. Just follow these step-by-step instructions.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada