$100 Half-Day Designs: Unique Striped Headboard
Reuse old bi-fold closet doors to create a colorful new headboard.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
paint (Behr, Luscious, Pink Chintz, Veranda Iris, Chocolate Coco, Weathered Sandstone)
1. Determine how many door panels you will need for your headboard. For a full-size bed, three is perfect. A queen-sized bed will take four, and a king may take as many as six.
2. Lay the door panels on a work table with the flat backside facing up. Use a screwdriver to remove any hinges that may be on the doors. If your doors are flat on both sides, skip this step and just use the side without hinges.
3. Fill the holes left by the hinge screws painter's putty.
4. Pick one or two base colors, and paint the doors in wide stripes. Since the stripes are random, you don’t need to measure anything. For best results and easier installation, use the lightest colors for the base. It’s easier to paint the accent colors over a lighter base than a dark base.
5. Allow the base coat to properly dry.
6. When dry, use the masking tape to make stripes on each door. Be sure to press the tape down firmly so the paint doesn’t bleed underneath the tape edge, creating an uneven look.
7. Use the new tape lines as a guide, and paint stripes in remaining accent colors. Peel the tape while the paint is still slightly wet for the cleanest lines.
8. If more stripes or touchups are needed, wait until the paint is dry and repeat steps 4-7 as necessary.
9. Cut long strips of hook-and-loop tape and place them at the top of the door on the back side. Then press the door panels against the wall, letting the hook-and-loop tape hold them in place. The door panels should be resting against the floor.
10. Push the bed back into place to keep the headboard in place. The hook-and-loop tape is simply added insurance to keep the headboards from falling forward.
Paint and placemats play a starring role in this bedroom redo.
Time to put a little sizzle back into the bedroom! Take a look at 10 of our favorite headboard ideas, which are sure to inspire...(10 photos)
Tufted headboards bring a custom look to any style of bedroom, from traditional to cottage to modern.(8 photos)