This is a quick quilt project that utilizes fusible web machine-applique on a simple, pieced background. The best part? It's appropriate for all skill levels. Instructions provided courtesy of designer Joni Pike.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
1-1/2 yds. black/white check
1-1/2 yds. each two red prints
12 - 16 fat quarters black/white prints
3-1/4 yd. backing fabric
1/2 yd. fabric for binding
scraps of blue, green, yellow, brown fabric
assorted buttons – special button packs available
quilt batting and thread
white embroidery floss
pattern – Sew Special Designs Catnip #777
1. Pre-wash fabrics.
2. Cut background blocks for appliqué and pieced blocks according to pattern instructions.
3. Using the quilt diagram and pattern templates, appliqué the cats, fish, paws, and flowers using fusible web. Finish appliqué edges with machine zigzag or blanket stitch.
4. Embellish blocks before piecing. Embroider mouth and whiskers with white embroidery floss. Use buttons for the eyes, noses, and paws.
5. Piece two and four sectioned blocks to form finished blocks. Press seams toward black and white checkered fabric.
6. Piece the quilt top by sewing blocks in each row. Press seams for each row in opposite directions. Sew rows together and press seams toward bottom of quilt top.
7. Sew borders together alternating black/white fabrics with each red fabric. Use leftover fabric from the appliquéd cats.
8. Make corners of border by sewing triangles together and pressing seams open.
9. Sew on side borders matching seams to quilt top.
10. Sew corners to each end of top and bottom borders.
11. Sew top and bottom borders to quilt top.
12. Layer, quilt and add binding.
13. Sew on a quilt label when finished.