Maximum Home Value Landscaping Projects: Irrigation and Water Features
Water adds another dimension to your landscaping. Install a reliable irrigation system to maintain a healthy lawn or water features to add beauty.
Great landscaping isn’t worth much unless it’s maintained. And what keeps your outdoor areas green and healthy? Water, of course.
If you don’t have the time to water your garden yourself or money to hire someone else to do it, an irrigation system is ideal. But installing an intricate sprinkler system is not for the amateur DIYer, so get advice and compare quotes from several landscape professionals.
Keep in mind irrigation isn’t the only way to incorporate water in your landscaping. Water features like a fountain or koi pond add beauty and a sense of serenity while increasing your home's value.
- Water for maintenance. Savvy DIYers can install slow-drip systems that offer full control and water plants in a slow, concise manner. Homeowners interested in more elaborate sprinkler systems will need professional installation.
- Water for aesthetics. Aside from the obvious choices, like a water fountain or pool, homeowners are integrating water in interesting ways.
Unless you’re a long-time DIYer, don’t attempt to install an irrigation system yourself, warns appraisal expert Leslie Sellers. You can end up doing more damage than good.
- On a Budget: Unfortunately, an irrigation system is one of those things that requires some kind of investment. If you’re on a tight budget, you’ll save more dough by rolling up your sleeves, grabbing the garden hose and watering your lawn yourself.
- Mid-Range: Thanks to new technology, costs have come down on irrigation systems. Look for inexpensive pre-packaged units that can easily be installed.
- High-End: Work with a landscape architect to install an irrigation system that meets your needs. When it comes to water features, you’re only limited by your budget and imagination. Whether it’s a pool, water garden or fish pond, choose elements that match your home and reflect your style.
Be Smart About Lawn Care
From mower options to lawn care products, get tips for growing a healthy yard.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada