Understanding Designer Certifications
Many pros have a series of letters after their names. Find out what those designations mean
Confused by the alphabet soup of letters following your designer’s name? Learn what the acronyms for the most common certifications mean.
AKBD (Associate Kitchen & Bath Designer)
- Minimum 2 years industry experience
- At least 2 years of formal design education of 30 hours of professional development from the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA)
CKD (Certified Kitchen Designer)
- Minimum 7 years kitchen design experience.
- Minimum 4 years of formal design education or 60 hours of NKBA professional development.
CMKBD (Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer)
- More than 17 years of industry experience.
- Has CKD and CBD (Certified Bath Designer) certifications.
- At least 100 hours of NKBA professional development or equivalent formal design education
LEED AP (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, Accredited Professional)
- LEED is an internationally recognized green building certification system founded by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) in 1993.
- Accredited professional (AP) and Green Associate certification is earned by working on LEED-accredited projects and earning Continuing Education hours through the USGBC.
CAPS (Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist)
- Certification earned through the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)
- Certified specialists are well versed in Universal Design principles and how to implement those in the residential environment.
- Curriculum teaches technical, business management, customer service and critical skills modifying homes for the aging-in-place.
Hiring Contractors for a Remodel
Know what questions to ask when choosing professionals to do your kitchen renovation.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada