Unconventional Flowers for Fall
When you're looking for unusual fall flowers, think spring for autumn color.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
"When you think of fall color, you no doubt think of mums and pansies. After all, they're the most popular plants of the season, and supplies are plentiful," Paul says. "But the next time you think of fall color, think of spring."
Flowering plants will do well in the spring because of their propensity for cool weather will do just as well - if not better - during the cool months of fall.
Here are some of Paul's unconventional fall-flowering favorites:
- There are two types of Million Bells that are perfect for adding fall color to your garden. The first is a red one called simply 'Red.'
- The second is a stunning beauty called 'Terracotta.' Both varieties are hardy to 30 degrees.
- Low-growing Marguerite daisy (Argyranthemum) is a delight, and it flowers pretty much nonstop until the first hard freeze.
- 'Toucan Tango,' a purple member of the aster family, doesn't care too much for afternoon sun, but it's hardy to 28 degrees.
- The high-flying colors of 'Coral' rate big in Paul's book. This compact beauty stays small, growing to just 8 inches high and wide, and is hardy to 15 degrees.
- This African daisy 'Lemon Symphony' can tolerate partial shade to full sun, grows to about a foot tall and wide, and is great in flowerbeds, containers or hanging baskets. It's also hardy to 25 degrees. Here are two types of Million Bells that are perfect for adding fall color to your garden. The first is a red one called simply 'Red.'
Fall has been called the forgotten season in most part because, throughout much of the country, landscapes can look pretty dull. "If you punch things up with really great colorful flowers, though, you can turn your landscape into one that won't soon be forgotten," Paul says.
Gardening expert Paul James offers advice on fertilizing, seeding and planting.
Add green to your landscape while keeping some in your wallet. Check out our best money-saving tips to help your garden and...(12 photos)
Considering adding a greenhouse to your garden or want to add some beauty to a greenhouse you have already? You may want to...(5 photos)