Maximum Value Outdoor Living Projects: Patio
Learn cost effective ways to maximize your patio's potential and add value to this outdoor living area.
A patio installment or upgrade can easily turn an empty backyard into an elaborately decorated outdoor feature. The perfect spot to relax, entertain and cook, patios are making a comeback at all stages of the market.
- Concrete stamping. A cost effective way to add visual interest, stamping gives concrete the look and feel of a more expensive stone like brick, flagstone, cobblestone or slate, but allows for flexibility in design. Also, because stamping is a customized project based on your wants and needs, pricing can fit a wide range of budgets.
- Colors and stains. In addition to stamping, color or staining can spice up any average “slab of concrete.” By adding either a base color to the concrete mix or staining the cement once it’s laid, rich color schemes with depth and texture can mirror natural stone, wood, marble or even leather.
According to appraisal expert, Leslie Sellers, president of the Appraisal Institute, patios that see the biggest return on investment are the ones that seem to have been in place since the home was built. This doesn’t mean it should look worn out or old. Instead, Sellers suggests that homeowners should upgrade or add a patio with regard to the proportion of the home and property it sits on.
Not only does an out-of-proportion project throw off a home’s balance, but it also detracts from its home value. Just because an extravagant patio costs a lot to complete doesn’t always mean you will see a cost-worthy return when it comes time to sell.
- On a Budget: For those on a strict budget who don’t want to give up style, pavers can be a great option. Easy to install on your own, pavers can be customized with a variety of colors to tie in landscaping and architectural features. Also known for durability and flexibility, pavers offer a more temporary option that can be updated or moved around as you see fit.
- Mid-Range: Take it a notch above pre-poured pavers and try a hand at stamping and staining yourself. Many home improvement stores or builder supply stores offer stamping packages that include all the materials you will need and start renting out around $150 for three days. It is important to understand the basics of pouring concrete before taking on this DIY project, so do your homework and get a couple friends involved to help with labor.
- High-End: By hiring a decorative concrete contractor, colors and patterns can be incorporated with existing stone, tile or concrete elements already on the property. Complex designs like incorporating steps, courtyards and fountains can be achieved using the same stamping and staining techniques.
Maximum Home Value Outdoor Living Projects: Deck
No matter what kind of home you have, a deck brings visual interest to your property and easily upgrades your outdoor living space.
Maximum Value Outdoor Structure Projects: Shed
Get tips and advice for your shed project and outdoor structure improvement ideas that increase your home’s value.
Maximum Value Outdoor Structure Projects: Pergola
How much real estate return can you expect from a pergola? Find out here.
Maximum Home Value Outdoor Living Projects: Porch
Find cost effective ways to make the most out of your home's porch—then kick back and relax!
Maximum Home Value Outdoor Living Projects: Outdoor Kitchen
An outdoor kitchen brings the heart of the home into the open air and extends a home's living space. Here, the latest trends and cost-saving design tips.
Maximum Value Big Ticket Upgrade Projects: Pool
More than a simple backyard addition, a pool is a reflection of your lifestyle. It can be tailored to custom fit your property and accent your home’s architectural style and landscaping.
Maximum Value Outdoor Structure Projects: Workshop
Get tips and advice for your workshop project and outdoor structure improvement ideas that increase your home’s value.
Maximum Value Technology Projects: Theater
Discover technology, security, theater, sound, wireless lighting and home automation projects that increase your home’s value.
Maximum Value Budget Projects: Hardware
Updated knobs, handles and pulls dramatically improve the appearance of cabinets and can transform even the most countrified kitchen into a modernized space.
Maximum Value Kitchen Projects: Appliances
Appliances are the workhorses of the kitchen. From the refrigerator to the range, make sure they’re updated and functional with these tips.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada