Tiffany Brooks' Favorite Ideas From the HGTV Smart Home 2016
This year’s home, in Raleigh, NC, is chock-full of the latest high-tech gadgetry. Tiffany Brooks, who designed the interiors, shares her favorite ideas with HGTV Magazine.
About the house
Built in five months, the approximately 3,300-square-foot home has a Craftsman-meets-cottage style. There are four bedrooms and four and a half bathrooms over three floors, including a master suite on the main floor.
Read on for Tiffany's 6 favorite high-tech ideas from the HGTV Smart Home 2016.
1. Goodbye, cords and cables! Two wall-mounted charging docks — one in the living room, one in the basement media room — wirelessly charge iPads. When an iPad is placed on a dock (magnets keep it in place), it starts juicing up automatically.
2. Thanks to an automated smart home system, everything from the fireplace in the master bedroom to the lock on the front door can be controlled with an app.
3. Digital controls adjust the water flow and temperature in the master bathroom’s spaworthy shower, which boasts four horizontal body sprayers and a rainfall showerhead. “It’s so luxe — and smart!” says Tiffany. “The shower learns your preferred settings.”
4. The mirror in the master bathroom hides a state-of-the-art surprise: There’s a 15.6-inch high-def LED TV embedded inside. “Brush your teeth while you watch the news!” says Tiffany.
5. Retractable screens on the screened porch can be lowered or raised via a remote or an app. When they’re down, the screen’s specialty mesh reduces UV rays by up to 55%.
6. The curved screen of the 65-inch high-def TV in the media room means everyone gets a great view. “Even if you’re sitting off to the side in the room, you won’t have to move your seat to see,” says Tiffany.