Create an Outdoor Faux Rug
A painted faux rug is easy to create and a simple way to brighten a patio.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
2 or more colors of self-priming and self-sealing porch and floor paint (Benjamin Moore, Topeka Taupe 1463, Aged Bronze 231, Blue Ridge 1043, Livingston Gold HC-16, Shaker Beige HC-45)
felt tip black marker
large and small foam rollers
small artist's brush
1. Choose the outdoor space where you'd like to add a faux painted rug. If your concrete is dirty or in poor shape, you may need to power wash, acid etch or patch cracks. A clean surface is important so that the paint adheres.
2. Apply a basecoat of porch and floor paint with a roller to the entire area. Allow paint to dry overnight. You may need more than one coat.
3. Determine what size you want your painted rug to be and then use a marker and measuring tape to lay out the border.
4. Align strips of painter's tape with the marker lines to create the rug's border.
5. Then continue to use tape to create a pattern within your perimeter. Some ideas are stripes, a checkerboard, a stencil or free hand a pattern or words. For this project, they taped off two stripes and used a marker to write words in between the lines. Be sure to press down all of the edges of your tape to prevent paint from bleeding under the tape.
6. Use additional paint colors to make your pattern by rolling in between your tape lines or over your stencil. Paint over words with an artist's brush.
7. Allow the paint to dry. Carefully pull up the tape and make any necessary touchups.
Whether you have a big backyard or a tiny patio, start increasing your home's square footage today with our budget-friendly...
A concrete patio is turned into a Mexican-themed outdoor room.
Put a cover on your outdoor living space and create a refreshingly cool outdoor hangout.(20 photos)