Classic-Meets-Zen Dining Room
See how modern meets traditional in this formal dining room.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Host Kristan Cunningham meets with newly engaged Eric Glyn-Davies and Amy Scaccianoce. They are renting-to-own their home from Eric's grandmother and have redecorated most of the house but stopped short at the dining room.
Eric and Amy want to incorporate Asian influences in the decor so the traditional ceiling fan has got to go. They want the bay window to be highlighted and are hoping for a darker, soothing earth tone on the walls.
The hardwood floors are beautiful, yet could be softened by an area rug. They have a dining table but no chairs. The existing buffet has the perfect amount of storage but could use a facelift.
The design team updates the traditional room with a modern, East-meets-West design — here's how they do it:
- The walls are painted a warm camel tone to give the room a formal backdrop.
Since the L-brackets make the surface uneven, mending plates are glued underneath the precut 12-inch mirrors to project them off the board.
Tip: Be sure to keep the drill bit lubricated while boring the hole so that it doesn't overheat. When finished drilling the holes, he gives each one a matte finish by sanding it with a very fine sandpaper.
Furniture - $398
- bench for dining table: Hotel Surplus Outlet
- upholstered and wood-frame chairs: Al's Discount Furniture
Fabric and Window Treatments - $281
- velvet window panels: The Great Indoors - Versailles, Chocolate Brown
- fabric for chairs, bench seat and pillows: Michael Levine
Art and Accessories - $183
- berber floor rug: The Home Depot
- aluminum for candleholders: Industrial Metal Supplies
- candles: General Wax and Candle
Lighting - $97
- floor lamps: Kmart - 02201170392
- chandelier: IKEA - Molnig, 90030149
- shades: IKEA - Aled, 60036355
Paint and Supplies - $39
- wall paint: Behr - Wooden Swing, 290F-5
Project Total - $998
Old World elegance transforms an empty dining room.
Homeowner Andy Pruden needs help with his living room and dining room. He's grown tired of the country feel that his decor...
Find out how to give a living and dining room a contemporary masculine look for less than $500.(7 photos)