Crazy Curved Iron Bookcase
Patrick Neuwirth welds steel shelves to create his crazy curved iron bookcase.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Patrick Neuwirth has been welding since he was in high school. He finally realized his dream: creating artistic metal pieces full time.
Materials and Tools:
10' x 8" x 1/8" steel sheet
eight 1-3/8" solid steel balls
eight 1" solid steel balls
1/2" round solid bar stock
rust preventative clear epoxy enamel paint
welding safety equipment (mask, gloves)
vice with a bending jig
soft sanding pad
chop saw with metal cutting blade
1. Using a 10' x 8" x 1/8" piece of steel sheet, cut four shelves for the bookcase each measuring 2 feet long with a plasma cutter. Wear safety equipment.
2. Insert one of the shelves into the jig attached to the vice and bend the shelf into a curve. Repeat with the other three shelves.
4. Cut six pieces of 1/2-inch steel rod for the back scrollwork on the bookcase with a metal-cutting chop saw.
5. Insert one end of a rod into the vice and start bending the scrollwork. Continue feeding the rod into the vice and bending until the entire rod is bent into the scroll. Repeat with all six rods.
8. Turn the piece over and complete the tack weld on the sections from the back.
9. Cut four steel rods for the sides using the metal saw. Bend them into S curves with a scroll on the end using the vice.
10. Position the side rods in place and weld them to the shelves. The bottom portion of the side rods will become the legs.
11. Cut two rods for the braces between the front legs and back legs. Bend them into scrolls.
12. Stand the bookcase upright with the front facing you and tack weld one of the bracing pieces between the front legs. Repeat with the back brace between the back legs.
14. Weld steel balls of varying sizes to the ends of the scrolls throughout the bookcase.
15. Complete the final welding of the piece.
16. Brush the entire piece with a cup brush attached to a grinder.
17. Grind the entire iron bookcase with a soft sanding pad.
Professional organizer Vicki Norris helps Tracy and Brian McEvoy rid their home office of clutter and turns the room into a...