How to Store Cleaning Supplies
Let’s face it: Cleaning isn't most people’s idea of fun. But there’s also no reason to make it harder than it has to be. Take some of the pain out of household chores with these tips for keeping cleaning supplies sorted and at the ready.
By: Lisa Frederick
- Safety first. Above all, wherever you store your cleaning supplies should be well out of reach of small children and pets. If you don’t have a high shelf or lockable closet, use safety devices, such as drawer and cabinet straps, to ensure that little fingers or curious paws can’t get to hazardous materials.
- Pick one spot for cleaning gear storage. That way, you won’t have to go from room to room tracking down toilet cleanser or wood soap. Also, don’t stack bottles and cans so deep that you’ll have to burrow through them to find the particular solution you’re looking for.
- Keep a portable caddy or two next to the supplies. Fill it with what you need to clean a given space. In addition to cleaning solutions, include a stock of rags, sponges, scrub brushes and more. Alternatively, you can make a caddy for each area of the home (kitchen, bathroom, etc.) and grab it as needed.
- Designate a place for larger cleaning tools. Vacuum cleaners, steam mops and other big items can go in a spare closet, the pantry, the garage or the basement. The exact spot is less important than keeping them all together so you can put your hands on them whenever you need them.
- Make sure everything is clearly labeled. Keeping solutions in their original containers is always ideal, but if you decant them into all-purpose spray bottles or jugs, use a permanent marker or labeling tape to identify them. For example, you don’t want bleach getting confused with plain water!
When you’re getting your stuff in order, a dose of patience goes a long way. These tips will get you started without all the stress.
With some planning, you can have a user-friendly space in your home for craft projects and prepping gifts.
Whether you have too little space, too much stuff or both, storage furnishings are a fantastic and affordable solution. Here are five essentials that work for just about any home.
If you have a habit of going overboard at the warehouse club, here’s how to keep bulk items from taking up more than their fair share of space.
Learn the right way to store your fine china to keep it in tip-top shape for your next special occasion.
Is your living room overflowing with toys? Try these ideas to keep your kids’ favorites at hand for playtime and out of sight when company comes.
If your kitchen is overrun with unorganized pots, pans and utensils, try these tips that will have your space looking tidy as a Michelin star restaurant.
A little planning can help you keep kids' belongings and other clutter from taking over.
The laundry room is an essential part of the home, but keeping it organized can be a tough job. Learn how to store laundry supplies to keep your space fresh as clean clothes.
People tend to fit into one of two organization styles: filing or piling. Learn to master the art of organizing no matter your preference for staying tidy with these tips.