Design on a Budget
Here are tips and ideas to add custom touches to a budget-conscious kitchen.
- A beveled edge on a Formica countertop eliminates the black line associated with squared-off edges. Beveling can also be used on the backsplash. A 2-inch backsplash adds a custom look and is more proportionate than the standard 4-inch backsplash. A thicker backsplash also adds a custom look. Textured or patterned laminates are easier to clean because you don't see every scratch or crumb.
- Some details that add a custom look to cabinetry: crown molding, a rail detail at the bottom edge to hide under-cabinet lighting, ledge details, mullion bars in glass insets, fly over panels (connecting two cabinets separated by a sink, for example), upgraded hardware.
- Adequate lighting is critical in the kitchen. Popular choices include under-cabinet halogen lighting, can lighting and lights inside glass door cabinets.
- One of the details affecting cost is drawer construction. The less expensive choice consists of particle board and side-mounted glides. A sturdier and costlier choice is solid oak, dove-tailed drawers with under-mounted glides.
- Working with a kitchen designer can avoid costly or unsightly mistakes, like not leaving enough space for drawers to move easily in corners, and not making cabinets deep enough when staggering the height of cabinets.
Check out these chic-on-the-cheap decorating tips.
Our 10-step budget guide will help you set up and stick to a decorating budget -- without blowing it.
Transform your home with smart shopping tips and money-saving ideas from Design on a Dime's Kahi Lee.
6 bright ideas for running a tighter ship
Follow these 4 tips for making your decorating fantasies come true while on a budget.
Tips on how to get home-cooked meals and not spend too much money on take-out food.
An outdoor kitchen on a budget is easy to achieve with a little imagination.
A kitchen redesign doesn't have to break the bank when it comes to style.
Check out these easy, inexpensive solutions to common painting problems.
Keep costs down with these DIY quilting tricks and substitutions.