Yes, You Can Buy a Comfortable King-Size Mattress (and Happiness) Under $500
A king-size mattress that won't break the bank? We tried this best-selling green tea-infused memory foam mattress from Zinus. Keep reading for our full review.
It’s 2020. You should take a nap. Give yourself the gift of one of the top-rated mattresses on Amazon. The 12-inch Zinus gel-infused green tea memory foam mattress boasts thousands of five-star reviews and offers top-tier mattress quality at an irresistible price.
When I moved into a new apartment inside a Victorian house with a large boudoir, I knew it was time to retire my original full-size bed-in-a-box mattress. It served me well for nearly five years, and while it was still comfortable, the size of my new bedroom dwarfed it. Besides, my sleeping arrangements had changed: My boyfriend lives across the street, and we’re both quite tall. Nothing short of a king-size mattress would suffice!
Beyond the attractive price point, several other factors led me to this particular Zinus mattress model. It features odor-repellent green tea and natural charcoal foam layers that help keep the place I spend a good portion of my day feeling fresh and clean for longer. Its multiple layers of memory and comfort foams provide supple support for all my bed-related activities. No matter what I’m doing on my new mattress, I’m doing it comfortably.
My new mattress arrived quickly and expanded rapidly. Some older reviews on Amazon mention mattresses that never fully inflated or had a strange odor, but mine filled out fast and didn’t have any discernible or disagreeable smell. I let it air out for about 12 hours, but I slept on my Zinus mattress the very same day it came out of its box, which comes complete with detailed product information and adorable postcards.
I also needed a new bed frame. I chose the Zinus Arnav 10-inch platform metal bed frame. This affordable frame was hands-down the easiest flat-pack furniture assembly I’ve ever done, and it provides enough clearance for storage underneath the bed. In fact, my old flat-pack bed frame fits underneath with room for two large storage bins. My cat, Sheba, also loves to sleep underneath the bed (and on top of the bed: she thinks it’s her personal kitty palace).
Sheba isn’t the only one who thinks the Zinus mattress sleeps great. After sleeping on this mattress for a few months, here are the main pros and cons I've observed:
- It's affordable as all get out. The price point is truly unbeatable. For less than the cost of a new mattress from some other brands, I was able to get a lavishly large mattress and bed frame.
- It's super supportive and comfortable. My body sinks ever-so-slightly into the mattress’s cooling gel-infused memory foam top layer while being met with the spine-supporting and elongating caress of its inner core. I’ve yet to lie down without uttering an “aaaaaahhhhhh.” Ever since this mattress came to call my house home, I've also noticed my spine and hips have stopped popping when I do my yoga routine.
- It's a great size for open-concept spaces. I’ve had apartments smaller (and that cost more!) than this king-size mattress. When you’re working from home in 2020, sometimes you just need to sit. on. the. bed. for. a. minute. This Zinus mattress is a great bed in a box for people who work from home because you can work in one area and still be feet away from where you lay your head at night, especially if you live in a spacious studio or open-concept space where you need your furniture to help distinguish zones.
- Monthly rotations are necessary. This could simply be because this is a new mattress, but I’ve had to rotate my Zinus king-size mattress every few weeks to prevent an indentation forming where I usually sleep (I’m a side sleeper). The top layer of this mattress is quite impressionable; my previous bed in a box only ever needed to be flipped every six months during its five years as my primary mattress. The size of my Zinus mattress makes this more of a big deal (my old bed was a full-size mattress).
- It runs on the warmer side of cool. Even though this mattress boasts its cooling properties in its name, I’ve woken up warm more often in this bed than ever before. This could be due to a change in sheet materials (from cotton to bamboo), or it could very well have something to do with the general anxiety of life in 2020. I’m on the hunt for new sheets — perhaps a set from HGTV editors' top recommendations for cooling sheets — and a new year to see if that helps. I’ll report back with my findings in 2021… after a nice long nap on my Zinus mattress.
Overall, my sleep has come quicker, felt deeper and it's been easier to wake up feeling rested. This Zinus mattress makes an ideal main bedroom addition, and the brand's other sizes and depths offer affordable yet luxurious accommodations for every bedroom in the house: kids, teens, house guests and even very large dogs would be happy to find one of the Zinus mattresses as their vehicle to dreamland. If you’re on both a budget as well as the hunt for a new mattress, you simply can’t go wrong with a Zinus.