Checklist: Essential Mortgage Documents
Gather these important documents before you visit your lender.
By: Tara-Nicholle Nelson
- Full name of all persons applying for the loan along with their social security cards (the original blue card - not a copy)
- Your home address, including zip code, for the last 24 months and the names and addresses of landlords and/or mortgage lenders
- Name and complete address of employers (for all applicants) for the last 24 months
- Last two years' W-2 forms for all applicants
- Most recent pay stubs covering one full month and year-to-date info for all applicants
- Verification of any other income to be used for qualification purposes;
- If any applicant is self-employed, bring copies of your current profit and loss statement, a current balance sheet, and Income Tax Returns for the past two years, both personal and business.
- A list of account numbers, current balances, and complete bank/credit union addresses for all checking and/or savings accounts
- Copies of your last two months' checking and savings account statements
- Copies of most recent investment and retirement account statements, if applicable
- If any buyer is obligated to pay alimony, child support, or separate maintenance, bring a copy of the recorded divorce decree and/or maintenance agreement.
- If any applicant owns other real estate, please provide a list of all income, copies of all leases and/or rental agreements, names and addresses of all lenders, loan numbers, loan balances, and monthly payments.
Refer to this 10-step checklist to get you through the homebuying process.
If you can postpone your move, you could save some major cash.
Impress buyers with money-saving and eco-friendly features.
Did you sell your home so quickly you're worried you can't find a new home in time? See how one woman solved the problem.
You may be financially "exhausted" from saving for your home purchase, but now's actually a great time to keep saving.
Figure out if you should sign on or steer clear of these financing trends.
Your total monthly payment may be divided among these four items.
Discover details about the personal, employment and financial information your mortgage broker will request.
Here are four things you'll need (and two things you won't) when you're ready to switch from renting to owning.
With mortgage brokers like these, you don’t need enemies. Know how to protect yourself from a scam.