The following promotion is intended for the 50 United States and D.C. only and will be construed and evaluated according to United States laws. Do not proceed in this site if you are not a legal resident of the 50 United States or D.C., 21 years or older at Promotion Start Date.
HGTV® ULTIMATE OUTDOOR AWARDS
OFFICIAL RULES – NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND D.C., 21 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AT PROMOTION START DATE. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- How to Enter: Beginning at 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on December 1, 2021 until 5:00 p.m. ET on February 25, 2021 (the “Promotion Period”), you may enter the HGTV® Ultimate Outdoor Awards (the “Promotion”). Eligible entrants may enter the Promotion by submitting a Preliminary Submission (as defined below). All Preliminary Submissions must be received by 5:00 p.m. ET on January 19, 2022 to be eligible. Each entry must also include entrant’s full name, address, phone number (including area code), and email address. Incorrect or incomplete entries are void and will not be eligible. These Official Rules are also available at www.hgtv.com/outdoorawards (the “Website”).
Note: In order to access the Website and in an effort to optimize the Website user experience, ad blocking software on your computer may need to be disabled.
- Submission Requirements:
Preliminary Screening: To enter, you must first make a Preliminary Submission by visiting www.hgtv.com/designsubmissions (the “Screening Site”) between 9:00 a.m. ET on December 1, 2021 and 5:00 p.m. ET on January 19, 2022 (the “Preliminary Entry Period”). The Preliminary Submission must contain the following: (a) a web link to at least six (6) photos of one of your designs and/or architectural projects (each, a “Project”) that fits into one of the five (5) categories set forth in the chart below (each, a “Category”), with the photos showing various angles of the space and the design elements of the Project (options for sharing the web link will be described on the Screening Site); (b) your full name, address, phone number, email address and the Category to which you are submitting the Project. All photos submitted should be in the file type and size as stipulated by the Screening Site instructions. There is no limit on the number of Preliminary Submissions permitted during the Preliminary Entry Period. A single Project may be entered into multiple Categories during the Preliminary Entry Period. Upon receipt, Sponsor will review the Preliminary Submissions in accordance with the procedures outlined in Section 7 and will then contact each entrant whose Preliminary Submission qualifies (the “Invitees”) and provide instructions for entering the First Round.
First Round: On a rolling basis after making the Preliminary Submission, the Invitees will be invited to make an additional submission (the “Submission”) at any time prior to 5:00 p.m. ET on February 25, 2022 by signing in or registering with the HGTV® Professionals Network (http://pros.hgtv.com) (the “Submission Site”). On the Submission Site, Invitees will be instructed to upload at least six (6) photos of one of their Projects using the HGTV® Professionals Network photo uploader tool. The photos in the Submission must be the same photos submitted with the Preliminary Submission for that Project. Additionally, Invitees will be asked to return a form containing the full names of all professionals who contributed to the Project, plus each professional’s signature approving the Submission. All photos submitted should be in the file type and size as stipulated by the uploader tool. Limit of one (1) Submission per eligible Invitee per Category. Each Project may only be submitted to one (1) Category in the First Round. The Sponsor’s panel of judges reserves the right to make Category changes. Late Submissions will be disqualified.
Submissions that are created and received within the above-mentioned guidelines shall collectively be referred to herein as the “Eligible Entries.” Submissions that are not the Invitee’s original work and/or illegible or incomplete application forms will not be accepted. Sponsor reserves the right to reject any Submissions that it deems, in its sole discretion, violate any of the policies of Sponsor’s customary standards and practices.
If multiple entries are received for a single Category, only the first Submission for that Category will be accepted and additional entries will be disqualified. Multiple participants are not permitted to share the same email address. Any attempt by you to obtain more than one (1) entry per Category, or to submit a single Project for multiple Categories using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations or logins, or any other methods, may void your entries and you may be disqualified from the Promotion. Any use of robotic, repetitive, automatic, programmed or similar entry methods or agents (including, but not limited to, contest entry services) will void all entries by you. In the event of a dispute as to any online entry, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant and such individual must comply with these Official Rules. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Potential winners may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
The Preliminary Submissions and Submissions must be consistent with the image and values of Sponsor and must not include: (a) any third parties, including but not limited to minors, celebrities, and friends, who have not expressly authorized entrant to display their image or likeness; (b) any content that violates any third-party rights, including, but not limited to, copyrights or trademark rights or rights of publicity or privacy; (c) defamatory language or threatening language; (d) language or content that is sexually explicit, obscene, or indecent; (e) language or content that promotes the consumption or abuse of alcohol, tobacco, or drugs; (f) any other language or content that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; (g) contain material that is threatening to any person, place, or business group; or (h) contain words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion sexual orientation or socioeconomic group or that Sponsor determines are inappropriate in Sponsor’s sole discretion and/or does not otherwise meet the Preliminary Submission or Submission requirements.
The five (5) Project Categories are as follows:
Container gardens, vegetable gardens, estate gardens, vertical gardens, large gardens and rooftop gardens.
These relaxing retreats are lush, lovely and full of gorgeous greenery. We want to see your expertly designed gardens that are abundant with fresh foliage and flowers that really make people stop and smell the roses.
Porches, patios and front yards.
Show us your beautiful front yards that will have us falling in love at first sight. From homes with stunning architecture to expertly landscaped lawns, we want to see what makes your curb appeal the most memorable.
Entertaining spaces, outdoor kitchens, outdoor living rooms, outdoor dining rooms and gathering spaces.
These gorgeous getaways are all about how you live in them, whether its al fresco dining or a relaxing retreat. These spaces take advantage of the available outdoor area and provide room for entertaining, to perfectly blend the interiors with the exteriors.
Lakeside homes, Riverside homes, oceanfront homes, homes by the water, uses of water.
Show us your extraordinary waterside properties with crystal blue views that stun. From beach homes, lakeside retreats, ocean properties, we want to see your breathtaking water-rich oasis.
Swimming pools, infinity pool, in-ground pool, lap pool, swim spa, pool houses.
These backyard paradises include swimming pools that will stun. Show us your incredibly designed pools that will have everyone swimming with envy.
- Representations and Warranties: By submitting a Preliminary Submission or a Submission, you represent and warrant that: (a) the Preliminary Submission or Submission is an original work created by you; (b) you own all rights to the Preliminary Submission or Submission; (c) the Preliminary Submission or Submission complies with all requirements of these Official Rules; and (d) you understand that other entrants may submit Preliminary Submissions or Submissions that are very similar to yours and that you shall not have any claim against any other entrant or Sponsor arising out any such similarity or be entitled to any compensation because of any such similarity.
- Eligibility: This Promotion is open only to (i) individuals or teams consisting of up to two (2) otherwise eligible individuals (ii) that are legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C. and who are, as of Promotion start date, at least 21 years old, and (iii) who are design professionals (i.e. someone who has been employed to perform the duties of a landscape architect, architect, and/or interior designer, or a representative of such a person, including but not limited to a public relations representative, or someone who otherwise holds any role related to design that Sponsor considers to be “professional” in its sole discretion). Void where prohibited. Employees and members of their households, whether or not related, and immediate families (spouses, parents, siblings, children, and each of their respective spouses) of the Promotion Entities (as defined below) and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and their advertising and promotion agencies and all local sponsors are not eligible.
- Publicity Grant: Except where prohibited, participation in the Promotion constitutes your consent to Promotion Entities’ (defined herein) use of your name, photograph, likeness, statements, biographical information, voice, entry, and state of residence for promotional purposes in any and all media, now or hereafter devised, worldwide in perpetuity, without further payment or consideration, notification or permission.
- Limitations of Liability: Discovery Communications, LLC (“Sponsor”) and other participating entities (collectively with Sponsor, the “Promotion Entities”) their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent, advertising and promotion agencies, prize suppliers and their respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents, and any and all Internet servers and access provider(s) (collectively, “Released Parties”) are not responsible for: any incorrect or inaccurate entry information; human error; technical malfunctions; failures, omissions, interruption, deletion, or defect of any telephone network, computer online systems, computer equipment, server providers, or software, including any injury or damage to your or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in this Promotion; inability to access the Websites; theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries; transactions that are processed late or incorrectly or are incomplete or lost due to computer or electronic malfunction or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site; printing or human or other errors; and any entries which are late, lost, incomplete, misdirected, stolen, mutilated, illegible, postage due, or any combination thereof. Online submission is not considered proof of delivery or receipt. Upon submission, all entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Sponsor reserves the right to conduct a background check on any potential winner and reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any person based on such background check if Sponsor determines in its sole discretion that awarding the prize to such potential winner might reflect negatively on Sponsor or any of the Promotion Entities. Failure by potential Category Winner or Overall Winner to agree to a background check may also result in disqualification. By entering, you agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against all claims and damages or liability arising in connection with your participation and/or entry in the Promotion and/or your receipt or use of any prize awarded in this Promotion or due to any injuries, damages or losses to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Promotion-related activity or participation in this Promotion. Any and all warranties and guarantees are subject to the respective manufacturer’s terms. No more than the advertised number of prizes will be awarded. You further understand and agree that all rights under Section 1542 of the Civil Code of California (“Section 1542”) and any similar law of any state or territory of the United States that may be applicable with respect to the foregoing release are hereby expressly and forever waived. You acknowledge that Section 1542 provides that: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS THAT THE CREDITOR OR RELEASING PARTY DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE AND THAT, IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR OR RELEASED PARTY.” The releases hereunder are intended to apply to all claims not known or suspected to exist with the intent of waiving the effect of laws requiring the intent to release future unknown claims.
- How Winner will be Determined:
Preliminary Round: Sponsor’s Judges will review the Preliminary Submissions to ensure they comply with the terms and conditions herein and are otherwise Eligible Entries. Sponsor’s Judges will also ensure that the Project shown in the Preliminary Submission is of a professional quality, as determined solely by Sponsor’s Judges. Sponsor will contact each entrant whose Preliminary Submission qualifies and will provide instructions for entering the First Round.
First Round: After the Promotion Period, a panel of judges selected by Sponsor will evaluate all Submissions and select not less than six (6) nominees (each, a “Nominee” and collectively the “Nominees”) for each of the five (5) Categories based on the following judging criteria: (a) 25% on the overall quality of the design work; (b) 25% based on the innovation and creativity of the Project; (c) 25% on the relevance to the Category; and (d) 25% on the utilization of available square footage and materials (the “Judging Criteria”). The timing of the Nominee selection shall be at a time to be determined and set forth on the Website and/or Submission Site. If selected as a prospective Nominee, you may be required to execute and return releases and additional documentation supplied by Sponsor in accordance with Sponsor’s instructions or such prospective Nominee will be disqualified.
For each Category, the entrants with the highest scoring Submissions will be the Nominees. The number of Nominees in a given Category will be determined by the judges. In the event of a tie, ties will be broken based on the Overall Quality Criteria Score. If a tie still remains, the tie will be broken based on the Innovation and Creativity Score. If a tie still remains, the tie will be broken based on the Relevance to the Category Score. Sponsor’s decisions with respect to the Nominees, these Official Rules, and all other matters pertaining to the Promotion shall be final and binding.
Second Round: The Second Round will be comprised of both the People’s Choice Selections and the HGTV® Editors’ Picks:
(a) People’s Choice Selections: The Nominees in each Category will be posted online at the Website for public voting from 9:00 a.m. ET on March 8, 2022 until 5:00 p.m. ET on April 12, 2022 (the “Voting Period”). In each Category, the Nominee that receives the most votes will be the “People’s Choice Category Winner.” Nominees are prohibited from soliciting votes, and voters are prohibited from soliciting votes on behalf of Nominees, by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes, payments, or other inducements to members of the public (including, without limitation, offering to trade votes), as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and all associated votes may be void and such Nominees disqualified. All results are unofficial until verified by Sponsor. Voters may vote only once per day, per Category.
(b) HGTV® Editors’ Picks: The Nominees in each Category will be reviewed by the HGTV® Editorial Team based on the Judging Criteria, and the Nominee with highest score for each Category will be named the “Editors’ Pick Category Winner.”
A Nominee may be selected as both a People’s Choice Category Winner and an Editors’ Pick Category Winner.
Overall Winner: The Judges will evaluate each of the People’s Choice Category Winners and the Editors’ Pick Category Winners (collectively, the “Category Winners”) based on the Judging Criteria, and the one (1) Category Winner with the highest score will be named the overall winner (the “Overall Winner”). A scoring tie will be broken based on the Overall Quality Criteria Score. If a tie still remains, the tie will be broken based on the Innovation and Creativity Score. If a tie still remains, the tie will be broken based on the Relevance to the Category Score. Sponsor’s decisions with respect to the Overall Winner and all other matters pertaining to the Promotion shall be final and binding.
- Prize Conditions: The prospective Category and Overall Winners may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability and publicity (where permitted), and return the same, properly executed, within five (5) days of issuance of prize notification. If Sponsor is unable to contact the prospective Category or Overall Winner within three (3) days from first notification attempt, if the prospective Category or Overall Winner fails to complete and return all requested forms by the specified date, if the prospective Category or Overall Winner does not pass Sponsor’s background check (in its sole discretion), or if the prospective Category or Overall Winner fails to comply with any of the requirements, his/her prize will be forfeited and an alternate prospective Category or Overall Winner shall be selected by selecting the next-highest scoring Submission.
Prior to selection of the Category and Overall Winners, entrants and/or their Submissions may be featured on the Website and/or Submission Site; however, in no way shall such promotion influence the selection of the Winners. Any Category or Overall Winner will be notified by email, telephone, and/or overnight mail delivery on a date as set forth on the Website and/or Submission Site.
- License of Submissions: By submitting a Preliminary Submission or a Submission, entrant hereby grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free license to use, and to sublicense to others the right to use, the Preliminary Submission or Submission, in whole or in part, in any and all media, now known or hereafter invented. The license granted herein includes the right to edit the Preliminary Submission or Submission, to combine the Preliminary Submission or Submission with other material and to make derivative works based upon the Preliminary Submission or Submission, without notifying entrant and without obligation to entrant. Entrant waives any right: (a) to inspect or approve the use or editing of the Preliminary Submission or Submission, and (b) to royalties or other compensation arising from or related to use of the Preliminary Submission or Submission. Entrant understands that Sponsor is not obligated to use, distribute or promote the Preliminary Submission or Submission, and further understands that the Preliminary Submission or Submission will not be returned to entrant.
- Conditions of Entry: Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. If, in the Judges’ or Sponsor’s opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering with any portion of the Promotion, or if computer virus, bugs, unauthorized intervention, fraud, or technical difficulties or failures compromise or corrupt or affect the administration, integrity, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Promotion, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and void any entries submitted fraudulently, to modify, suspend, or terminate the Promotion and proceed with the judging process, as outlined in Section 7 above, to award the prizes using all eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the termination date or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. Should the Promotion be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be posted on the Website and/or Submission Site. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of the winner based on an email address, the winning entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY YOU TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROMOTION MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM YOU TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
Overall Winner: The Overall Winner will receive the following (the “Overall Winner Prize”): (i) one (1) HGTV® produced video tour of the Winning Project; and (ii) one (1) framed certificate of the Overall Winner’s Winning Project. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) of the Overall Winner Prize is $15,000.
Category Winners: Each Category Winner will receive the following (the “Category Winner Prize”): one (1) framed certificate of the Category Winner’s Winning Project. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each Category Winner Prize: $200.
Total ARV of all prizes in this Promotion: up to $17,000.
The Overall Winner will not receive the Category Winner Prize in addition to the Overall Winner Prize. If a Category Winner is both a People’s Choice Category Winner and an Editors’ Pick Category Winner, such Category Winner will only receive one (1) Category Winner Prize.
The specifics of all aforementioned elements of the Prizes in the Promotion shall be solely determined by Sponsor. All costs, taxes, fees, and expenses associated with any element of the Prize not specifically addressed above are the sole responsibility of the respective Prize Winner. All federal, state and local taxes on prizes are the respective Prize Winner’s responsibility. Prize Winners will be issued a 1099 tax form for the actual value of the Prize.
Prizes cannot be transferred, substituted, or redeemed for cash except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the Prize, or portions thereof, with a prize of equal or greater value.
- Disputes/Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these rules, or the rights and obligations of any entrant or the Promotion Entities in connection with the Promotion, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions which would cause the application or the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York. Any action or litigation concerning this Agreement shall take place exclusively in the federal or state courts sitting in New York County, New York, and you expressly consent to the jurisdiction of and venue in such courts and waive all defenses of lack of jurisdiction and inconvenient forum with respect to such courts. Any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Promotion, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. You agree to service of process by mail or other method acceptable under the laws of the State of New York. ANY CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND/OR AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS PROMOTION. YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY RIGHTS OR CLAIMS TO ATTORNEY'S FEES, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ENTRANT, IDENTIFIABLE PERSONS, OR THIRD PARTY PARTICIPANTS, WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR NOT AND WHETHER BASED ON NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE.
- Severability: If any provision of these Official Rules shall be held invalid, illegal, or unenforceable, such provision shall be enforced to the maximum extent permitted by law and the Sponsor’s fundamental intentions hereunder, and the remaining provisions shall not be affected or impaired, provided, however, that in such cases the parties oblige themselves to use their best efforts to achieve the purpose of the invalid provision by a new legally valid stipulation.
- Winner List: Beginning on or about April 27, 2022, you may obtain the names of the Category Winners and the Overall Winner by going to the Website.
- Sponsor: Discovery Communications, LLC, 230 Park Avenue South, New York, New York 10003.
- Trademark Attribution: The HGTV® trademark is a trademark of its respective owner.
The Promotion and all accompanying materials are © 2021 Discovery Communications, LLC.