Waldorf Salad With a Twist
One of my favorite recipes for serving a large crowd comes from Chef Matthew Bell, owner of South on Main restaurant, one of the top upscale Southern fare bistros in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Start your meal off with this healthy, refreshing salad using kale, one of the most nutrient-rich vegetables around. This Kale Waldorf Salad can be doubled or tripled to suit your needs. It’s crisp, light, slightly sweet and very filling.
Kale Waldorf Salad
- 1 large bunch Lacinato kale
- 1 apple (preferably Arkansas Black)
- 1 dozen grapes (halved)
- 1/2 pound candied pecans
- 2 celery sticks thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons Waldorf Dressing (recipe follows)
Remove ribs from kale and thinly slice. Combine kale and dressing and toss to coat. Divide between four plates. Top each salad with nuts, grapes, and celery. Core the black apple and divide into four. Slice each quarter thinly. Top each salad with the apple. Drizzle with just a little more dressing and serve.
Makes 3 cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup creme fraiché
- 1/2 cup apple butter (homemade when available)
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons chives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
Blend all ingredients together. Refrigerate up to two weeks.