Winter Gardening Planner
Consult this handy checklist for wintertime care and maintenance of your garden.
- Plan your vegetable and flower beds.
- Order flower and vegetable seeds.
- Group containers for stability in high winds and for insulation.
- Wrap terra-cotta pots in bubble plastic or pack in mulch for frost protection.
- Harvest winter crops.
- Build a raised bed.
- Put up new bird boxes.
- Prune wisteria, and most trees, including apples and pears, in late winter.
- Plant bare-root trees and shrubs in late winter.
- Take root cuttings from perennials.
- Prune late-flowering clematis.
- Prune trees to create multistemmed specimens.
- Chit potatoes in late winter to plant in spring.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties, and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.
Time to spruce up your garden and take care of these fall gardening chores to help make next growing season a bit easier.
Follow this handy checklist and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
Do these tasks during spring and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
This garden design plan provides an ever-changing collage of bold, vibrant hues in foliage and flowers throughout the year.
Use this landscape plan to create a beautiful garden room alive with color throughout the seasons.
A collection of perennials, blooming shrubs and vines provide color thorughout the season in this beautiful garden design.
Use this landscape design plan to create a garden that's full of color and interest throughout the seasons.
Imagine relaxing in your backyard amid the blooms of fringe tree, variegated abelia, and other colorful perennials and shrubs. Here's a plan that provides color throughout the seasons.
A vine-draped arbor and multi-seasonal color spotlight this garden room.
Create a kaleidoscope of color in your garden throughout the seasons with this easy-to-follow landscape plan.