Summer Gardening Planner
Follow this handy checklist and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
- Harden off tender seedlings sown indoors.
- Plant summer bedding and vegetable plants.
- Plant up containers and hanging baskets.
- Protect young plant growth from pests, especially slugs.
- Put houseplants, including citrus, outside for summer.
- Feed flowering shrubs and roses to promote flowering.
- Prune evergreen shrubs.
- Earth up potatoes and harvest after flowering.
- In late summer, sow beet, radishes, spinach and lettuce every two weeks.
- Take softwood cuttings.
- Sow spring cabbages.
- Trim lavender hedges after flowering.
- Prune wisteria to restrict growth.
- Take semi-ripe wood cuttings.
- Make an insect hotel in time for winter hibernation.
- Water containers and new plantings frequently, particularly in hot weather.
- Weed beds and borders.
- Mow the lawn as required.
- Deadhead flowering plants to extend blooming.
- Prune hedges and topiary as required.
- Tie climbers in to their supports.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties, and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.
Consult this handy checklist for wintertime care and maintenance of your garden.
Do these tasks during spring and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
Time to spruce up your garden and take care of these fall gardening chores to help make next growing season a bit easier.
This garden design plan provides an ever-changing collage of bold, vibrant hues in foliage and flowers throughout the year.
Use this landscape plan to create a beautiful garden room alive with color throughout the seasons.
A collection of perennials, blooming shrubs and vines provide color thorughout the season in this beautiful garden design.
Create a kaleidoscope of color in your garden throughout the seasons with this easy-to-follow landscape plan.
Imagine relaxing in your backyard amid the blooms of fringe tree, variegated abelia, and other colorful perennials and shrubs. Here's a plan that provides color throughout the seasons.
A vine-draped arbor and multi-seasonal color spotlight this garden room.
Use this landscape design plan to create a garden that's full of color and interest throughout the seasons.